Antique Safes/Old Southern Pacific Railroad Safe

Question
DSCO2734
DSCO2734  

DSCO2735
DSCO2735  
I'm in the process of settling my cousin's estate. I have an old Southern Pacific Railroad safe that is functional, doors and combination work well. I need to sell or junk it out. I would appreciate any info you have on the safe and possible value.

Thanks,

Al Slack

Answer
Al,

Sorry, but safes were NOT made for the railroads.   They simply bought what ever was available.   Your safe has been repainted, so unless you actually have documentation of its ownership by the railroad, then at present you don't even have a good story.

Your safe appears to have been manufactured by the General Fireproofing Company.   This company manufactured safes between 1912 to 1940.

Problem - this company was known to have used asbestos as an insulation material.   While asbestos is a great insulator from heat or fire, it is also considered a Hazardous Material (HAZMAT).   Most states and local governments have severe penalties for moving, selling or disposing of HAZMAT items with out following their regulations.    I would recommend that you check your local regulations prior to doing anything with it.

Until you verify (material testing) that the safe has or has no asbestos - it has no value.

These containers are also NOT antique, or collectible.   They do not meet any current standards for fire or heat resistance, and are NOT burglary resistive safes.   They have no resale or commercial value, and should NOT be used for overnight storage of cash, jewelry or valuable documents.

while this does not mean that the safe has no value, just not under any of the categories above, and certainly not until it has been tested for asbestos.

Sorry, for the bad news on this safe.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)