Antique Safes/What is this safe

I inherited this safe and can't find any information at all about it. Also my grandparents never knew the combitnation and the people they got it from didnt have the combo. So it's locked and I was wondering if there is any way to open it without destroying it. And any information you have on the safe. Time period, value, anything.

From what I can read on the safe it's:

Top of safe : Edward wenk

Door: Pittsburg safe co.

Bottom: spencer.....

You have a "Baby" Pittsburg Safe Company safe.   The Pittsburg Safe Company was in business from 1902 until around 1920, in Pittsburg(h), PA.

Note:  Pittsburgh was originally named with its present spelling 22 April, 1794.  It was briefly referred to as Pittsburg in the late 1800ís.  The name Pittsburgh was officially restored in 1911, though it took several years before many companies and business started using the restored spelling.  

At a minimum your safe would have been built between the 1902-1913.   This safe was a small, personal, fire resistive safe.    "Edward Wenk" would probably have been the original owner.

As far as opening it, you have two choices - you can try all of the 1,000,000 possible combinations that could have been set on the lock, or you can have a safe technician (NOT a locksmith), open the safe, and recover or reset the combination for you.

The dialing sequence for the lock on this safe is as follows:

4 times left to the first number,
3 times right to the second number,
2 times left to the third number,
1 time right stopping at 100 (or 0).   Turn handle to open.

Left is counter clockwise, Right is clockwise.   DO NOT count the revolutions of the dial, count the individual number as it arrives at the 12 o'clock index mark.

Your other option would be to have a safe tech from a local safe company open the safe for you.   if they have a safe tech who is trained in manipulation they may be able to open it this way, HOWEVER, manipulation is never a guarantee.
It may require drilling - if done correctly, it will not damage the safe or the lock or the antique status of your safe.

Good luck, if you don't have a safe tech in your area, let me know where you are located (zip code) and I'll see who I know nearby.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada