Antique Safes/Safe moving

NB-S SAFE 031813
NB-S SAFE 031813  

I have a friend that wants some help moving an old Herring-Hall-Marvin safe.  I can make the arrangements to move it cross country via an LTL carrier, however I'm not sure about how he needs to package it for shipping.

Photo attached:
Dims are: 40"wide x 31"deep x 68"tall.
Estimated weight: 1,000lbs?

Whats the best/easiest way to package for a carrier to handle it?

Please advise, thx.

ANSWER: Duane,

You will need to palletize the safe.   As you will not find a pallet to fit, you will need to build one.    Large enough so that the wheels are captured and off the ground.   It will also need to support the entire container, AND have suitable positions for pallet jacks or fork lifts to lift it.    The pallet needs to be large enough so that the safe cannot tip over if the driver stops the truck quickly.

wrap it with card board and then shrink wrap it to protect it, and band the safe to the pallet.

If you don't have the materials, then I would recommend your having an actual safe company prepare it for shipping.   I'm not talking about a little locksmith shop, you need an actual safe company that is trained in moving safes up to at least 5000 lbs.

hope this helps,

QUESTION: Thanks for the suggestions. Any referrals to a safe moving company @ Toledo, OH?

Probably the nearest company that I would recommend would be:

Metro / Anchor Safe Company
2627 E. 8 Mile Rd
Warren, MI  48091

They are about 60 miles away from you, but they have the capabilities of moving up to 6500 lbs, and should be able to palletize your safe for shipping.   The freight company can probably pick it up, right from their facility.

There are a couple small lock and safe shops around Toledo, but I don't believe that they have the necessary skills to actually be of value to you.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada