Antique Safes/Safe moving

Question
NB-S SAFE 031813
NB-S SAFE 031813  
QUESTION: Hi,

I have a friend that wants some help moving an old Herring-Hall-Marvin safe.  I can make the arrangements to move it cross country via an LTL carrier, however I'm not sure about how he needs to package it for shipping.

Photo attached:
Dims are: 40"wide x 31"deep x 68"tall.
Estimated weight: 1,000lbs?

Whats the best/easiest way to package for a carrier to handle it?

Please advise, thx.

Duane

ANSWER: Duane,

You will need to palletize the safe.   As you will not find a pallet to fit, you will need to build one.    Large enough so that the wheels are captured and off the ground.   It will also need to support the entire container, AND have suitable positions for pallet jacks or fork lifts to lift it.    The pallet needs to be large enough so that the safe cannot tip over if the driver stops the truck quickly.

wrap it with card board and then shrink wrap it to protect it, and band the safe to the pallet.

If you don't have the materials, then I would recommend your having an actual safe company prepare it for shipping.   I'm not talking about a little locksmith shop, you need an actual safe company that is trained in moving safes up to at least 5000 lbs.

hope this helps,

QUESTION: Thanks for the suggestions. Any referrals to a safe moving company @ Toledo, OH?

Answer
Duane,

Probably the nearest company that I would recommend would be:

Metro / Anchor Safe Company
586-755-3570
2627 E. 8 Mile Rd
Warren, MI  48091

They are about 60 miles away from you, but they have the capabilities of moving up to 6500 lbs, and should be able to palletize your safe for shipping.   The freight company can probably pick it up, right from their facility.

There are a couple small lock and safe shops around Toledo, but I don't believe that they have the necessary skills to actually be of value to you.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)