Antique Safes/Acorns for Safe

I read some advice you posted several years ago on acorns for a safe.  I have a Reliable fire safe circa 1920s. I need one acorns! Do you still have odd ones around or machinist that can manufacture? I can send the dimensions and a picture. Thanks.

Yes, I have some old acorns (finials) for various safes, though I can't guarantee that I'll have one for your safe.

I also have a machinist that will make them for me.   We will need your dimensions and a photo to make them to your specs.   I would recommend that you send one of your acorns so that they can verify all of the measurements.

My basic recommendation would be to have all new acorns made so that the ones installed on your safe all match.   You can save the original ones to go with the safe if you sell it, however having matching acorns installed ON the safe will make a big difference.

As far as materials, we can make them out of pretty much anything you want, though material and finish will affect the price.   Finishes usually include polished or satin finish, and materials Brass, Stainless, etc.   Materials can also be chrome or nickel plated.

Many original acorns were hollow, formed material - we don't make this type of replacement, all of ours would be made from solid material.

Cost will depend on the size, shape and material.   Once I receive your drawing, photo and sample, I'll get a price for making the acorns.   All items are made using CAD/CAM machines to ensure that each item is identical.

you can contact me at:    or by sending the drawings and sample to me at:

Security Safe
attn:   andy
1753 Addison Way
Hayward, CA  94544  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada