Antique Safes/age and value

QUESTION: We have had this safe since the 1960's  Is there a way to find the age and value  It is 69.5 inches tall, 25 inches deep and 42 inches wide. It's very heavy, takes 4 men just to push it. Good condition, dial and hinges still work well.

ANSWER: Noel, it is a little difficult to determine without a outside frontal picture.  I suppose I could struggle with only the pics you posted but I don't want to work that hard. Very nice interior by the way.  Doug

QUESTION: Here is a frontal picture. hope it helps give us an answer.

It is from the 1920's-30's and I am not sure of the maker, not that it matters much.  In today's market it's greatest value would be as a gun safe.  I just opened an actual modern gun safe that went through a fire. It's fire protection was just one layer of drywall, the contents survived (barely) and I can tell you that your safe would have given better fire protection.  So to the right buyer you might get $1000. but the challenge is always finding that buyer.  Doug

Antique Safes

Doug MacQueen

This unusual and highly innovative safe from the later 1800's is a Corliss. William, the much younger brother of George Corliss of steam engine fame, spent several years perfecting this design and it was first displayed at the 1876 Philadelphia U.S. Centennial Exhibition. I do extensive patent research helping me in the study of antique U.S. safes and safe locks. Repairs and part making for antique U.S. safes of the early to mid 1800's, both key and combination. Also the study of early round door chest designs up to and including cannonball safes of the early 1900's.

40 years in the lock and safe trade with a stint in bank service work. Openings, repairs and moving of safes of all types.

Charter member Safe and Vault Technicians Association SAVTA, National Safemans Association NSO, National Antique Safe Association NASA. No longer current.

SAVTA monthly magazine

CMS (Certified Master Safecracker- NSO) and CPS (Certified Professional Safe Technician - SAVTA)

2nd place national combination manipulation contest 1986 and now in 2016 1st place