Antique Safes/$$ can an AMVAULT CF6528 can protect

Hi Terry,

In one of your previous thread answers you indicated that based on your experiences a TL-30 rated safe could possibly protect contents valued at $50K - $100K depending on the safe and its construction.  Where within that value range, where would you rate the protection capabilities of an 2012 mfg AMSEC TL-30 CF6528 if it had the (Auxilary Key, 3-way boltwork, and Glass relocker) upgrades.  Would it be in the low medium or high end of the range.

The first thing that you have to understand, not only about a safe, but about any security or safety system is the question of its purpose.   Regardless of the lock you place on the door of your house, or the alarm system, or the fire detection system or your safe, "WHAT" is its ACTUAL purpose???

This would normally be where you get to answer, however as a website is kind of like a monologue, I have to anticipate what your answer should be.

The ACTUAL purpose of ANY of these systems or devices is to give you "TIME".   The longer a fire burns, the more of your "stuff" that is destroyed, the more TIME that a burglar has, the more of your "stuff" that disappears.   Lets walk through a burglary - if it takes "X" amount of time to bypass your primary or perimeter security (door locks), and if it takes "Y" amount of time to bypass your secondary security (alarm system), and it takes "Z" amount of time to break into your safe, then it stands to reason that if the burglar has:   X + Y + Z = amount of time necessary, then you have lost your stuff.

Obviously these are all random variables, but if you anticipate the amount of time that it takes to bypass any of these items, simply by increasing one item, MAY be the advantage that YOU have over the burglar.   So adding the best door locks doesn't add much security, if the window next to the door can easily be opened, but if you can add security to force the burglar to attack your house or business the way YOU want him to, the easier it is to protect yourself or catch them.

As the safe is the LAST barrier to your "stuff", obviously this is where you want to provide the best barrier.   So obviously, a TL-30 safe with only "ONE" lock is NOT going to provide as much defense as exactly the same safe with "TWO" locks.

As far as the optional "glass / relocker protection", goes - in many cases the key lock is simply used as a day lock, so that the user can have ease of access, without having to redial the combination.   By adding the glass/relocker, this lock now provides twice the protection of the single lock in a burglary attempt.   Depending on the actual set up AND the way the safe is attacked, this particular AMSEC safe (CF6528) could have as many as five (5) relocking devices.   "ASSUMING" that the burglar activates ALL of these, this would provide a total of 7 locks that would have to be opened in order to retract the bolt work and open the door.

The optional three way bolt work would offer more protection from "prying" attacks, however we rarely see this type of attack on higher security safes, generally only on the lower ratings or non-rated safes made out of thin sheet steel.

OK - bottom line comparison of TWO identical CF6528 safes (as this is the comparison you requested), while you have significantly upgraded the protection of the door, the bolt work and the locks, "WHAT" have you changed about the body of the safe????   They are both still exactly the same, requiring exactly the same amount of work AND time to break into!!!!!    When you are looking to increase the amount of time that you require the burglar to invest at your home or business, in order for them to take possession of your "stuff", then YOU have to think 360 degrees.

Just like our earlier example of adding the best locks to your front door, but doing nothing to the window next to it, it doesn't make sense to upgrade the door, bolt work and locking system of the safe, if it is just as easy to break in through the walls of the safe.

This would normally be where you get to ask "Ok, what can I do to upgrade the walls of the safe"???

Ok, lets take a look at where you have the safe situated - obviously if you have it sitting in the open, the burglar has open access to the three unprotected sides.   Having the safe against most normal interior walls offers little in the way of protection as it is simply sheet rock.   A simple "saw-z-all" would make short work of these walls.   Having it against an common interior wall that is shared between your house or business and another house or business basically gives the burglar a means of bypassing much of your perimeter security to access the wall of your safe.
So what can you do???   If you are going to all the trouble to upgrade the door of the safe to an extra lock, glass protection and 3 way bolt work, why not upgrade the safe to one that offers the same protection on all 6 sides.   Either that or place the safe where it is in a cubby hole built of concrete or 1/2" to 1" steel plate.

If you are looking into the AMSEC AMVAULT CF6528 (TL-30), and are worried about the extra protection, I would recommend that you look at the AMSEC AMVAULTx6 CFX703620 (TL-30x6).

Are the upgrades that we've gone over going to cost extra - of course they are, but what you have to look at is the positive offset.    Is the COST of the upgrades going to be more or less than the amount you would lose during ANY ONE burglary?????   If so then I would recommend it.

Life is simply a series of "risks".   Protecting your valuables is no difference than gambling in Las Vegas - when you are making any particular bet, you look at the "RISK" of each bet.   If you are worried about losing, and are unwilling to take risks, then you tend to make smaller safer bets - betting red or black, odd or even, etc. basically gives you a 50/50 or 1 to 1 risk.   Obviously as the risks are safer, the gains are smaller.    While saving money on your door locks, alarm system and safe, by getting the minimum necessary is higher risk, you save money up front to spend on other items, on the other hand "IF" you only get hit once, the dollar value you lose could or would have paid for all your upgrades several times over.

Ok, I think I've beaten this one up enough, and I'm starting to go around in circles, but hopefully I've given you some ideas about "UPGRADES" so that YOU can determine if your decision will provide you with the security and ultimately the "TIME" required for the burglar to break in, so that YOU can make a choice.

Good luck.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada