Antique Safes/Antique floor safe

Floor Safe
Floor Safe  

Name on Safe
Name on Safe  
We are remodeling our 1873 San Francisco Victorian.  The safe came with the house. I had it opened once, before I lost the combination. The interior is in pristine condition. Lots of drawers. I believe it is called a document safe.

I would enjoy knowing more about the safe. Unfortunately we will not be able to keep the safe once the house remodeling is finished.
Thank you in advance.

Cari, other than it is a Mosler fire safe from around the 1920's, there's not a whole lot to tell.  Mosler was originally from Cincinnati,OH, but moved to Hamilton, OH before your safe was made.  During the 1900's Mosler was to become, like Diebold, an industry giant, but failed at the end of the century.  The safe has no scrap value but it is still a very useable safe, giving both some fire and and burglary protection.  Doug  

Antique Safes

Doug MacQueen

This unusual and highly innovative safe from the later 1800's is a Corliss. William, the much younger brother of George Corliss of steam engine fame, spent several years perfecting this design and it was first displayed at the 1876 Philadelphia U.S. Centennial Exhibition. I do extensive patent research helping me in the study of antique U.S. safes and safe locks. Repairs and part making for antique U.S. safes of the early to mid 1800's, both key and combination. Also the study of early round door chest designs up to and including cannonball safes of the early 1900's.

40 years in the lock and safe trade with a stint in bank service work. Openings, repairs and moving of safes of all types.

Charter member Safe and Vault Technicians Association SAVTA, National Safemans Association NSO, National Antique Safe Association NASA. No longer current.

SAVTA monthly magazine

CMS (Certified Master Safecracker- NSO) and CPS (Certified Professional Safe Technician - SAVTA)

2nd place national combination manipulation contest 1986 and now in 2016 1st place