Antique Safes/Diebold bank vault door

Question
Hello Terry
On Feb. 15, 2012 you responded to my question regarding the age of a Diebold vault door. I sent you some photos and you had indicated an age range of 1915-1925.
Thank you for the information. It was helpful
I have another question regarding this vault door.

Can you give me an approximate cost of a new vault door of this type.
Can you give me an estimate of the cost to install this type of door. Assume the vault room and door opening is in place.
Installation would include transportation of door to bank site ,(assume 500 miles), install in existing building from hole in roof to basement ( 3 floors), install door in door frame, hook-up, test, electrics etc. Also include any other installation components that are necessary.
Appreciate you assistance.

Answer
Gilles Moss,

I think that you misunderstand the meaning of the word "NEW"!

Chances of finding a "NEW" door which was manufactured between 1915 to 1925 is probably slim to none!   In fact you probably have a better chance of hitting the lottery than finding a "NEW" door of this age.

So I assume that what you are looking for would be a "USED" door which has been pulled out of a vault and is ready for service and/or installation.

Second item, if you are looking for a similar door, which is ready for sale and installation, I think that you better widen you search area from 500 miles to 2000 miles, as there aren't many of these doors readily available.

Obviously as I'm not going to expect you to have us come from California to Ontario to install a vault door, I'm not going to give you an estimate to install the door, as it would be fairly expensive.  You will need to contact a safe & vault company much closer to you.   If you need it lowered through a hole in the roof through to the basement you will also need a crane company which will increase the estimate significantly.

As far as all of the information that you are looking for about the installation, this will all need to be discussed with the company that installs it.   Even if I gathered all the numbers that I thought would be appropriate for this installation, it wouldn't mean anything, and probably wouldn't match what some other company might charge you.   We actually have a vault installation group that designs, estimates and installs vaults.

I'm not trying to put you off, but you really need to start a conversation with a local safe company so that you can actively start looking for a door, AND get some real numbers based on the job.

For a local company, I would recommend your contacting:

Access Security Products Ltd.
610 South Service Road West
Oakville, Ontario
Canada  L6K 2H4
(905) 337-7874 Telephone
1-800-268-9033 Toll Free

This company installs vaults and vault doors.   They may have some in stock that will work for you, and they can probably get started with some basic quotes or estimates, based on your job requirements.   Hope they can help, if not they may know of someone closer to you.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)