Antique Safes/Diebold Safe 1877 W.H. Butler Agent

Question
INSIDE SAFE
INSIDE SAFE  
Diebold Safe
Diebold Safe  
QUESTION: We have located a Diebold Safe patent 3/27/1877 with W.H. Butler Agent on it. All of the keys and combination. It is black on casters with golf leaf inlay. 60" high x 30" x 44 1/4". We are curious of the value.

ANSWER: Christine,

These were Diebold's "standard" safe.   The patent is probably for the lock as Diebold didn't start using the doors with the round corners until about 1885 and built them through the early 1920's.   The dates are for when the patent was ISSUED and has nothing to do with any manufacturing, however it does give us a date, that we know the safe could NOT be manufactured prior to.

W. H. Butler, was simply a sales agent for the "Diebold Safe & Lock Company", his address was 79 Duane Street, New York, NY. and he was selling safes for Diebold from at least the late 1880s until the early 1900's, though I don't have an actual start end date for him.

I would be more than happy to look at your safe for you.   In order to answer specific questions, identify, evaluate or appraise your safe, I'm going to need photos.  They should include full exterior and interior.  Detail photos should include pictures of the dial, handles, hinges, artwork, locks, bolt work, castors, cabinetry and any special details or damage.  Note:  You may have to remove the back panel on the door to gain access to the lock & bolt work – I will need these pics.

If you have a particular detail that you have a question about, I will need a photo of it along with your question.

I will also need to see any documentation that you have in regards to your safe.  If your safe has a unique historical perspective, you should be able to document this with letters, newspaper articles or photos, if not it is simply a story and will have no bearing on the value of your safe.

Please use as high a resolution as possible so that I can examine details of your safe.  Pictures which are low resolution, out of focus, or from a distance don’t help when we try to evaluate the container.  Note:  with higher resolution, you may only be able to send 2-4 pictures per email, depending on the size of the file, I have a 10mb limit per email.  If photos are larger than 2mb each, you may only be able to send 2 or 3 photos per email, requiring several emails.

Please don’t send me “cell phone” photos.   Also, please don’t use online, internet photo drops as most of these also don’t allow me to easily access the photos for examination.   Send the pics directly to me, while this may be more work for you, it will make my job easier.

Please send all of the requested photos to:  andy@securitysafeusa.com

Note:  As I am in the field several days each week, covering a huge service area, I may not get back to your photos immediately, but I will respond as soon as I get an opportunity.  Due to field work, emails may tend to get backed up which means I may not answer them immediately.

Our informal evaluation is at no charge, however if you feel you need a formal evaluation or appraisal for insurance, estate sales, donations for tax write offs, or to establish it as an antique, there is an administrative fee for this service.

QUESTION: Andy:

Thank you.
Once the safe is secured, we will take additional photos with our digital camera.
I appreciate your quick response.

Christine

Answer
Christine,

Great, I look forward to seeing your photos.   If you have any specific questions concerning the safe, please make sure to take a close up photo of that item, so that I can answer your question.

Unfortunately there are not any "individual" records of who may have owned a safe or where it has been, you would have to track that down through previous owners, but I can give you a basic history of the company and answer specific questions concerning the safe.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)