Antique Safes/Herring Hall Marvin floor safe

If you drill holes in the bottom of this safe to anchor to the floor, will it void your fire protection?
It is a very old safe.

Joyce, not knowing exactly what safe you have, it is difficult to say.  Bolting a fire safe to a concrete floor should not effectively reduce the actual protection by very much.  Onto a wood floor you will see a greater reduction once the floor itself is burning.  Neither wood nor concrete conduct heat as well as the metal bolt.  Installing a layer or two of drywall on top of the bolt head inside would tend to counter act any loss in protection.  An alternative is to weld angle iron around the safe and bolt down through the angle iron.  Doug  

Antique Safes

Doug MacQueen

This unusual and highly innovative safe from the later 1800's is a Corliss. William, the much younger brother of George Corliss of steam engine fame, spent several years perfecting this design and it was first displayed at the 1876 Philadelphia U.S. Centennial Exhibition. I do extensive patent research helping me in the study of antique U.S. safes and safe locks. Repairs and part making for antique U.S. safes of the early to mid 1800's, both key and combination. Also the study of early round door chest designs up to and including cannonball safes of the early 1900's.

40 years in the lock and safe trade with a stint in bank service work. Openings, repairs and moving of safes of all types.

Charter member Safe and Vault Technicians Association SAVTA, National Safemans Association NSO, National Antique Safe Association NASA. No longer current.

SAVTA monthly magazine

CMS (Certified Master Safecracker- NSO) and CPS (Certified Professional Safe Technician - SAVTA)

2nd place national combination manipulation contest 1986 and now in 2016 1st place