Antique Safes/J&J Taylor Safe

Question
Dial and Handle
Dial and Handle  

Safe Front
Safe Front  
Hi Doug, I'm sharing this safe with you here in hopes of finding out more about it, potentially when it was built, history of company, lock design etc.

The combination in not known, it is open and locked. The handle appears to have two seperate serial numbers stamped one on top of another, kind of difficult to read. It appears to have the original paint and design work on the front. Some of the interior wood shelving is gone. I have combined the photos of the handle and dial, hopefully they'll be large enough to see.

Can you shed any light on this safe?

Answer
Kiefer, J&J Taylor Toronto Safe Works goes back to 1855.  From what I have found, the company was very successful, stayed on top of the current trends in safe protection and was the largest Canadian maker for many years.  Eventually sucked up into the Chubb-Mosler-Taylor Co. in the 1900's.  Taylor had much more in common with the U.S. safemaking trade than with the British trade and your safe looks typical of the late 1800's to early 1900's.  As to the lock, Taylor either used S&G locks or was copying them. They may have also made some of their own designs but I haven't seen enough insides of Taylor safes.  Getting yours working should run somewhere around $100.  Doug

Antique Safes

Doug MacQueen