Antique Safes/Jewelry chest

Question
QUESTION: Hello Andy. I am looking at a large double door safe. It has a jewelers chest inside. I want to buy the chest alone. I have no interest in the big one. How could we get the little one out? It's in the upper left corner, encased in wood. I don't know how it's fastened in there. Thanks

ANSWER: Jack,

Unless the outer safe is damaged or beyond repair, I'm not sure why you would want to ruin a possible antique safe????    As the jewelers chests are designed to be inside of the outer chest, they generally do not have any stand alone value, and/or the value is reduced as it is only a part of the original safe.    Again, unless the outer safe is already foregone, You are loosing the majority of the value.

If you decide to go ahead with this project, you may be in for some work.   While some manufacturers simply attached them through the chest into the walls of the safe with bolts or anchors.   Other manufacturers actually built them into the walls of the outer safe.  Basically you are going to have to remove most of the cabinetry to examine its installation.

If it is built into the walls, you will need to cut away the supporting walls to remove it.

WARNING:   Jewelers chests are EXTREMELY heavy.   If it is not supported correctly, when it comes out, it may come out really quickly, and you may not be ready for it.   Death and serious injury can occur if you are not properly prepared.

Generally work like this is hands on work.   Without having a better idea with what you are dealing with the best I can do is speculate at this point.

QUESTION: The big safe is not as old as the chest. They were joined at different times. So I wouldn't be destroying the antique. The big safe isn't even antique. After moving of the big one, it would be worthless. You are telling me if it is fastened, it can be removed? Thanks

Answer
Jack,

Well then, that is a horse of a different color - (Wizard of Oz)   LOL!

If the chest is NOT original to the safe, then obviously value isn't going to be affected as it was a modification to begin with.

If the chest is NOT original to the safe, then it probably is bolted from inside the chest, to the walls of the safe.   It may also have been welded to the interior of the safe.    They may have used angle iron to brace the safe in place and/or to hold it in place.

If it was installed as an upgrade or addition, then it can be removed.    Your task, should you decide to accept it, is to determine HOW the chest is attached to the safe.

Without seeing the safe and/or chest I'm just guessing how it was installed at this point.   But it can be removed.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)