Antique Safes/Mosler Safe

Question
QUESTION: My Dad passed away and my Mom is now ill she is 91.
My younger brother lived at at the house where the safe is. He stored some of his jewelry in there, he told us the combo was 10,37,58,0. We have tried several methods, starting with 4 left (counter CW)stopping at 10, then right three full turns past 10 stopping at 37, then two full turns left past 37 stopping at 58, then one full turn right to 58, continue to 0 until it stops.

ANSWER: One of the problems with getting combos from others is that combos aare passed along the way they are understood and not necessarily the way they work.    The proper sequence should be:

4 times left to the first number  (10)
3 times right to the second number (37)
2 times left to the third number (58)
1 time right until the dial stops.   Should be around 90

Note:  left is counterclockwise, right is clockwise.  Do not count the revolutions of the dial, count the individual number as it arrives at the 12 o'clock index mark.   So for your second number you will turn the dial clockwise (right) stopping the third time the number 37 ARRIVES at the index mark.

If you still can't get it you may need a safe tech to check it out.

Hope this helps

QUESTION: What we were doing is counting the first No.(10)as it passed the index mark then rotating to No.37,when we should be counting the No. 37 as it passes the index mark,
Correct?

Thanks
Andy

Answer
Once you have dialed a number - forget it!!!!!   Forget the way you were trying to dial it, it is incorrect.   If you try to incorporate any of your instructions with what I've given you, it will also be incorrect and won't work.

If you continue to consider a number after dialing it, it will throw off your dialing count for the next wheel.

You are NOT counting the REVOLUTIONS of the dial, you are counting the INDIVIDUAL number as it arrives at the index mark.

For the first number, you will turn the dial counter clockwise (left), stopping the fourth time the number 10 ARRIVES at the index.
Then you will turn the dial clockwise (right), stopping the THIRD time the number 37 arrives at the index.
Then you will turn the dial counter clockwise (left), stopping the second time the number 58 arrives at the index.
Then turn clockwise (right) until the dial stops.

If the dial does NOT stop, then repeat the dialing instructions above, but change the last one to:
Turn the dial clockwise (right), stopping at (0), then turn the handle to open.

If it still won't open you may need to have it checked out by a safe tech.

Hope this helps out.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)