Antique Safes/we have an old "farm" safe of Daddy's would like to know the value & how to get combination

Question
The safe has been in the shop of our farm along time. It's open, we keep it that way not knowing the combination. Daddy passed away over 30 years ago now & we may sell it since we don't know the combination.
Any history and value would be appreciated.
This is what I can tell you...
2'x3'x25 1/2" It's green
painted black inside the door with
Barnes' Safe & Lock
Manufactured Pittsburg PA

other info. on the safe
Patent numbers 1866  1866 1860 1857
July 1871
Sgt Greenleaf
& Chester
or Chesterfield NY

I don't know how to attach a pic but can have help to accomplish that if needed.
Thank you so very much sincerely, Victoria McDow

Answer
Victoria,

the patent dates are for the lock.   It is a Sargent & Greenleaf lock, made in Rochester, NY.   The patent dates are NOT dates of manufacture, but simply the dates the patent was issued.
What they do tell us is that the lock and the safe could NOT have been made prior to the July 1871 date, but could have been made up to 1900 and still have had this lock with these dates.

The Barnes Safe & Lock Company was in business from the early 1870's until the 1920's.   The company was originally the Burke & Barnes Safe Company of Pittsburgh, started by Thomas Barnes a blacksmith and his brother-in-law Edmund Burke a locksmith and founded around 1845.  Burke retired from the company in the early 1870's at which time Barnes introduced the new name.
Note:   The name "Pittsburgh" was officially used in 1794.   Around the mid 1850's, the city's name was briefly changed to "Pittsburg" (without the "H").   It was officially restored in 1911, though examples of the spelling without the "h" can be found in many of the newspapers printed through at least 1916, illustrating the resistance to change.

based on this basic information, it is pretty easy to conclude that your safe was probably built between 1875 to around 1915.   To narrow it down further, I will need to examine the safe.

In order to answer specific questions, identify, evaluate or appraise your safe, I'm going to need photos.  They should include full exterior and interior.  Detail photos should include pictures of the dial, handles, hinges, artwork, locks, bolt work, castors, cabinetry and any special details or damage.  Note:  You may have to remove the back panel on the door to gain access to the lock & bolt work – I will need these pics.

If you have a particular detail that you have a question about, I will need a photo of it along with your question.

I will also need to see any documentation that you have in regards to your safe.  If your safe has a unique historical perspective, you should be able to document this with letters, newspaper articles or photos, if not it is simply a story and will have no bearing on the value of your safe.

Please use as high a resolution as possible so that I can examine details of your safe.  Pictures which are low resolution, out of focus, or from a distance don’t help when we try to evaluate the container.  Note:  with higher resolution, you may only be able to send 2-4 pictures per email, depending on the size of the file, I have a 10mb limit per email.  If photos are larger than 2mb each, you may only be able to send 2 or 3 photos per email, requiring several emails.

Please don’t send me “cell phone” photos.   Also, please don’t use online, internet photo drops as most of these also don’t allow me to easily access the photos for examination.   Send the pics directly to me, while this may be more work for you, it will make my job easier.

Please send all of the requested photos to:  andy@securitysafeusa.com

Note:  As I am in the field several days each week, covering a huge service area, I may not get back to your photos immediately, but I will respond as soon as I get an opportunity.  Due to field work, emails may tend to get backed up which means I may not answer them immediately.

Our informal evaluation is at no charge, however if you feel you need a formal evaluation or appraisal for insurance, estate sales, donations for tax write offs, or to establish it as an antique, there is an administrative fee for this service.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)