Antique Safes/Safe cabinet laboratory

Doors closed
Doors closed  

Door open
Door open  
I have a safe cabinet , serial # 169477 . I'm interested in its value .
It is 2 doors with locks in both doors . The locks work with the combinations .
There is no visible damage to the outside or inside of the cabinet.
I learned it was produced between 1929 and 1955 and possibly asbestos lined.

Dan, strange you should post this as I just worked on 2 different versions of your safe, a Victor and a Remington Rand, but still basically the same safe.  Prior to that I hadn't seen one in years.  Back when I started in the biz I had heard that model was considered the Cadillac of the fire safes, at least by some people.  Whether yours contains asbestos in the mix, I am not sure, but as long as it is sealed it should be of little concern.  This is similar to the fact the center of the earth is a molten mass, and again as long as that remains sealed...  We do have to contend with the occasional volcano.  Anyway, today the value is little unless someone has the need for a large fire safe.  the most likely use would be to pull out all the interior, seal it up with heavy paint and use it as a gun safe.  Doug

Antique Safes

Doug MacQueen

This unusual and highly innovative safe from the later 1800's is a Corliss. William, the much younger brother of George Corliss of steam engine fame, spent several years perfecting this design and it was first displayed at the 1876 Philadelphia U.S. Centennial Exhibition. I do extensive patent research helping me in the study of antique U.S. safes and safe locks. Repairs and part making for antique U.S. safes of the early to mid 1800's, both key and combination. Also the study of early round door chest designs up to and including cannonball safes of the early 1900's.

40 years in the lock and safe trade with a stint in bank service work. Openings, repairs and moving of safes of all types.

Charter member Safe and Vault Technicians Association SAVTA, National Safemans Association NSO, National Antique Safe Association NASA. No longer current.

SAVTA monthly magazine

CMS (Certified Master Safecracker- NSO) and CPS (Certified Professional Safe Technician - SAVTA)

2nd place national combination manipulation contest 1986 and now in 2016 1st place