Antique Safes/Safe Value if any

Question
Open safe
Open safe  

Safe 2
Safe 2  
My in-laws recently passed away, and inside their home was an old safe. There is no brand name that we can see on the safe, but on one of the pull out drawers it has 1884 written in the bottom in a black pencil. In back of the door of the safe, the lock says Yale Cambridge with a date of 1873, and a patent of 8.
The safe has to weigh in the neighborhood of 600 pounds, as we cannot move it.

We have no idea if there is a value to this safe, we do not have the combination, but the door is open.

We would appreciate any help you could give us.

Thank you.

Answer
Gary, from what I see, the safe is not worth a whole lot in that condition.  Several hundred at the most I'd say.  Not sure of the maker.  But I am curious about the lock.  The "8" would not be a patent number but could possibly be a lock model number.  By the 1870's the Yale and Towne Lock Co. was in Stamford, Conn., so is Cambridge really on the lock?  If so, that is even more interesting.  Back in those days it was very common for lock makers to give names to their locks.  But a Yale Cambridge?  A Yale New Haven would make more sense.  There were, if I am not mistaken two Yale locks patented in 1873.  Can you post pictures of the lock where you see this?  Pull the back cover off and take one inside the door.  Doug  

Antique Safes

Doug MacQueen