Antique Safes/Safes

Question
Inside
Inside  

Caster
Caster  
Wanting an idea of how old this safe that my grandfather gave me might be. I have several more pictures I can send to you.

Answer
Billy,

Azor S. Marvin began selling safes in 1838.   In 1843 when Daniel Fitzgerald and Enos Wilder secured a patent and had begun the manufacture of the first so called "Salamander Safes", which were fire resistive, they approached Mr. Marvin as they needed more capital (money) as the business was growing.   A few years later Silas C. Herring also secured a right to manufacture safes under this patent.    From at least 1842 until 1846, Azor S. Marvin was listed as a sales agent for Wilder's Patent safes, also selling similar safes manufactured by Roberston & Rich, and/or Rich & Company's Improved Patented Salamander Safes.  Patent rights passed through a series of "successors" - Rich & Roff, Roff & Stearns to Stearns & Marvin.
Between 1848 to 1860 Stearns & Marvin manufactured safes out of their New York facility at 144 & 146 Waters Street.   This was the only safe maker to combine both the Wilder's Patent AND the Rich & Company patents.    In November of 1860 Stearns sold out to Marvin and delivered possession of all the stock of safes on hand.   In a court case at the time, it was determined that as Marvin did NOT have the rights to the patents, (he was only a partner) to the firm which was protected in the manufacturer of safes, protected by the "license" issued to Stearns.   When Stearns retired, the  license came to an end, and the rights of the patentee terminated.
Azor S. Marvin began selling and manufacturing safes of his own design at this time.

An interesting note:   Painter Antonio Nicolo Gasparo Jacobsen (1850-1921) worked briefly for Marvin between 1871 to 1880 decorating the doors to the safes of the Marvin Safe Company.   His artwork generally depicted portraits of vessels, ships or boats.

The Marvin Safe Company continued in business until 1892, when they merged with Hall's Safe & Lock Company and Herring Safe Company (which included the Farrel Safe Company), to form Herring-Hall-Marvin Safe Company, which lasted until it was acquired by Diebold during Bankruptcy proceedings in 1959 and the factory subsequently closed down between 1962-64.

What other questions do you have about your safe?

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)