Antique Safes/vault door

Hi we pulled vault door from historical bank few days ago.

I want to see if You can help me with estimating that door before that auction ends cause I listed for sale.

Also somebody wrote article about so YOu can go to the link

and get more info about the door.

Please let me know.

Original paint job
Original paint job  
Bart, the big question is, did you remove the door jamb? Without the jamb, the door is pretty much scrap value, unless you can find someone interested in a metal sculpture of a bank vault door.  Generally its best to remove the door and jamb all together.  I would say that door and jamb, cleaned, assembled and ready to install in the door opening, would possibly sell for as much as $10,000. That may be pushing it. Problem is finding the right buyer. A door that thick is pushing the limits of what most buyers will go for a home vault door.  On the other hand, it would be great real world protection.  Shipping and installation costs have to be factored in.  Door and jamb, with everything dis-assembled, 1/2 of what you'd get for it already assembled.  Let me know how it goes.  Doug  

Antique Safes

Doug MacQueen

This unusual and highly innovative safe from the later 1800's is a Corliss. William, the much younger brother of George Corliss of steam engine fame, spent several years perfecting this design and it was first displayed at the 1876 Philadelphia U.S. Centennial Exhibition. I do extensive patent research helping me in the study of antique U.S. safes and safe locks. Repairs and part making for antique U.S. safes of the early to mid 1800's, both key and combination. Also the study of early round door chest designs up to and including cannonball safes of the early 1900's.

40 years in the lock and safe trade with a stint in bank service work. Openings, repairs and moving of safes of all types.

Charter member Safe and Vault Technicians Association SAVTA, National Safemans Association NSO, National Antique Safe Association NASA. No longer current.

SAVTA monthly magazine

CMS (Certified Master Safecracker- NSO) and CPS (Certified Professional Safe Technician - SAVTA)

2nd place national combination manipulation contest 1986 and now in 2016 1st place