Antique Safes/Weight of Gary Safe

Question
Gary Safe next to desk
Gary Safe next to desk  
Gary TL-15 rated Safe, (Dimensions: H: 6򶔻 W: 3򹔻 D: 3򳔩, Serial No. 33759C

We just closed up and moved out of our downtown location jewelry shop - (it's too expensive to compete in the business these days).  We don't have any use for the above safe.  My husband bought the business from his former boss in 1998, and his former boss purchased this safe new 30 years ago.  We are trying to give it away at no charge or $1 to a good home, to be moved at new owner's expense, as it's still in good condition and it's never been moved before.  The building management has placed very stringent requirements for anyone moving this safe out of their property, and we need to get a weight estimate so potential new owners can decide whether it will be feasible to move it to their own spaces (weight limits for elevators, trucks, etc.)  This safe has been a faithful friend, never been moved since install 30 years ago.  It has a windup with key timer, a key, and a combination.  The current location is ground level, street front, with a double glass door entry so it was no problem to the company which moved it in and installed it.

1.  Want a weight estimate, 2.  Want a value so a person planning to move it to their own property can decide whether it is worth the expense of moving it.  3.  Do you know of a place that wants old safes or "places" them to responsible owners?

I can send interior, side, locking bar photos also if you send me an e-mail address.

Answer
Linda,

Weight of the safe should be about 2000 to 2500 lbs.

Cost of a similar - new safe - $5500

Used safes are generally 1/2 that of a new safe or probably in the $1000 to $2500 range for your safe.

As far as someone looking for a used safe, you would have to advertise it just like any other item you would sell.

Hope this helps,

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)