Antique Safes/yale safe

Question
Hello Terry, I have an old safe given to me and it was sitting outside for a long time. I can turn the dial till it stops which is when I know I should turn the handle. It will not turn. I used antisiesing liqid for a month and sill will not turn so then I thought I could turn the handle using a pipewrench It will turn it, which it only turned the handle not the pins inside.(STUPID idea I know) The question is now what to do. Is there a way to drill something or try to take to door pins out? the safr number on it is 30167 ane the only nunber on the safe I could find. The safe is made by the national yale safe company. The dial is five and one half inches to the right of the handle centre to centre.Is there any hope for this safe or is it scrap now?

Answer
Merlin,

Sorry, but manufacturers figured out the "taking the hinges off" trick, about 150 years ago, and added dead pins to the inside of the door, and in many cases 3 way bolt work, so that the door is effectively locked on ALL four sides.   The "ONLY" function the hinges serve is to carry the weight of the door when you open it - nothing more, nothing less!!!!

So while you would "think" that removing the hinge pins would allow you to open the door, if it were that simply they wouldn't call it a safe - now would they!

My first guess would be that your combo lock is possibly NOT retracted all the way.   Second would be that either the bolt work or the handle is simply rusted.   metal will rust to about a 12:1 ratio, which means that 1" of metal could easily produce 12" of rust.   In a closed area, like the handle, spindle hole this means that it could easily bind it solid.    Similarly the bolt work rusting would create enough binding that the handle wouldn't turn.

While your lock may be a "Yale" lock, the safe is made by the National safe company (two different companies).   If the dial is to the right of the handle, then you may NOT have a National safe, as usually the dial was above the handle on National's.

As far as "is there any hope?"    Yes there is, but this has become a hands on project, not something that can be diagnosed over an email.

Step one - ENSURE that the lock is unlocked completely,
Step two - Is there any play in the handle - or did you break it off already???
Step three - it may be necessary to drill the safe to punch the lock bolts back, to open the door.
NOTE:   If you get to step three, you definitely need a trained safe technician that can do this without destroying the safe.

Any further destruction without having a plan, may result in the ruination of the safe.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)