Antique Safes/Globe Wernicke safe

Question
Cast iron wheel
Cast iron wheel  

safe
safe  
Hello, I am in the process of restoration of this unit. I am unfortunately missing one of its cast iron wheels, I am hoping you may know of someone that can help. I am not that this point interested in replacing all 4 as I am more interested in keeping the unit as it was originally.

I plan to use the safe and have no interest in its value whether  high or low, thank-you for any help.

I am attaching the single image but can send as many as is needed if an e-mail is provided.

Answer
Jason,

hopefully when you indicate that you are planning on using the safe, you don't plan on using it for storage of cash, jewelry, valuable documents or weapons!!!   This safe does NOT meet any current standards for either fire protection or burglary resistance, and should NOT be used for overnight storage of these items.

if you are simply going to use it for general purpose storage, then it should work just fine.

As far as finding replacement wheels, castors and/or supports - you are probably NOT going to find originals, unless you find a similar container which is being trashed, and you can utilize the parts.

Globe-Wernicke only manufactured safes from 1911 until around 1917 when they were ordered to cease manufacturing safes due to patent infringements on safes made by the Safe Cabinet Company.   While there weren't that many safes made by G-W, there were a lot of safes made by the Safe Cabinet Company, prior to 1926, which gives you a much larger potential listing of safes to look for, for parts.   Pretty much any Globe-Wernicke or Safe Cabinet safe, manufactured between 1911 to 1926 might have the same castors and supports.

So, now you just need to locate one of these safes which is being disposed of, to obtain salvage parts from.

NOTE:   Both Globe-Wernicke and Safe Cabinet Company were known to have used asbestos in the insulation of their cabinets, so care should be taken when ever working with this material.

While I don't believe that you are going to find similar castors and/or supports available, you might also check with some of the castor manufacturers to see if they have a similar product, and/or know of any sources.   I'm including a couple sources to start you off.

http://www.hamiltoncaster.com/
http://www.durablecasters.com/

Hope this helps,

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)