Antique Safes/Globe Wernicke safe

Cast iron wheel
Cast iron wheel  

Hello, I am in the process of restoration of this unit. I am unfortunately missing one of its cast iron wheels, I am hoping you may know of someone that can help. I am not that this point interested in replacing all 4 as I am more interested in keeping the unit as it was originally.

I plan to use the safe and have no interest in its value whether  high or low, thank-you for any help.

I am attaching the single image but can send as many as is needed if an e-mail is provided.

hopefully when you indicate that you are planning on using the safe, you don't plan on using it for storage of cash, jewelry, valuable documents or weapons!!!   This safe does NOT meet any current standards for either fire protection or burglary resistance, and should NOT be used for overnight storage of these items.

if you are simply going to use it for general purpose storage, then it should work just fine.

As far as finding replacement wheels, castors and/or supports - you are probably NOT going to find originals, unless you find a similar container which is being trashed, and you can utilize the parts.

Globe-Wernicke only manufactured safes from 1911 until around 1917 when they were ordered to cease manufacturing safes due to patent infringements on safes made by the Safe Cabinet Company.   While there weren't that many safes made by G-W, there were a lot of safes made by the Safe Cabinet Company, prior to 1926, which gives you a much larger potential listing of safes to look for, for parts.   Pretty much any Globe-Wernicke or Safe Cabinet safe, manufactured between 1911 to 1926 might have the same castors and supports.

So, now you just need to locate one of these safes which is being disposed of, to obtain salvage parts from.

NOTE:   Both Globe-Wernicke and Safe Cabinet Company were known to have used asbestos in the insulation of their cabinets, so care should be taken when ever working with this material.

While I don't believe that you are going to find similar castors and/or supports available, you might also check with some of the castor manufacturers to see if they have a similar product, and/or know of any sources.   I'm including a couple sources to start you off.

Hope this helps,

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada