Antique Safes/Lost Key for Hall's Safe Co

I have acquired a very beautiful double-door safe made by the Hall's Safe Co. of Cincinnati, Ohio.  The combination works perfectly, however, the key to the two inside doors was lost by the previous owner a few years ago.  I have tried various old keys and even attempted to "pick" the lock without success.  Where do I find another key? or can a professional "pick" the lock with having to the lock out?  Also do you think the company used asbestos in making the safe?

Obviously as this company has been out of business for around 80 years, getting another key is going to be slim to none, which means that you will have to have a safe tech open the lock and/or make keys for your lock.   They should be able to either pick the lock open, or impression a key for it.

If you don't want to pay for the service, and insist on doing this as a DIY project, if you look really, really, really closely at the door, you may be able to see where the lock mounting screws come through the door.   The inner doors were drilled and tapped through.   After mounting the lock, and sanding the screws flush, the doors were painted.   There may be a faint, faint shadow of the screw.
Drilling the screw from this side basically has the effect of unscrewing the screw, allowing the lock to fall out.
Obviously if you can't find all three or four screws, then this is NOT going to work, and any attempt to force the lock off the door may damage it.   Replacement locks are also NOT going to be easy to find.

Once the lock is off, you can take the lock to any good locksmith, safe tech, or worse case, send it to me to have keys made.

As far as asbestos - this company never used asbestos as an insulating material, so don't worry about it.

What other questions do you have???

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada