Antique Safes/Mosler cannonball safe

Question
QUESTION: My mother owns a pet store in. Former bank building.  I was in there playing with the main vault today when inside burried under some boxes I found a mosler cannonball safe.  This thing is in excellent condition.  The gold trim around the safe is still visible.  The crank and everything to operate it is there.  This model had a time lock installed as well.  He and was there in 1907 and I have safe inspection documents from the main safe from ad early as 1926.  I guess my question is what is the value of this safe?  I have a lot of pictures I took today and can send them.  Thank you very much.

ANSWER: Dustin,

Interesting - its amazing what safes are still out their buried in some back room waiting to be found.

Obviously I would need to see photos of the safe to offer any type of evaluation and/or appraisal so I'll need to see your photos (and possibly more).

I was recently at an auction where several rare "mini" cannonball safes were sold, so I've got a pretty good idea of what current values for these safes are.

In order to answer specific questions, identify, evaluate or appraise your safe, I'm going to need photos.  They should include full exterior and interior.  Detail photos should include pictures of the dial, handles, hinges, artwork, locks, bolt work, castors, cabinetry and any special details or damage.  Note:  You may have to remove the back panel on the door to gain access to the lock & bolt work – I will need these pics.

If you have a particular detail that you have a question about, I will need a photo of it along with your question.

I will also need to see any documentation that you have in regards to your safe.  If your safe has a unique historical perspective, you should be able to document this with letters, newspaper articles or photos, if not it is simply a story and will have no bearing on the value of your safe.
Please scan any documentation that you have with the safe, so that I can view it as well, you can provide these as PDF type files

Please use as high a resolution as possible so that I can examine details of your safe.  Pictures which are low resolution, out of focus, or from a distance don’t help when we try to evaluate the container.  Note:  with higher resolution, you may only be able to send 2-4 pictures per email, depending on the size of the file, I have a 10mb limit per email.  If photos are larger than 2mb each, you may only be able to send 2 or 3 photos per email, requiring several emails.

Please don’t send me “cell phone” photos.   Also, please don’t use online, internet photo drops as most of these also don’t allow me to easily access the photos for examination.   Send the pics directly to me, while this may be more work for you, it will make my job easier.

Please send all of the requested photos to:  andy@securitysafeusa.com

Note:  As I am in the field several days each week, covering a huge service area, I may not get back to your photos immediately, but I will respond as soon as I get an opportunity.  Due to field work, emails may tend to get backed up which means I may not answer them immediately.

Our informal evaluation is at no charge, however if you feel you need a formal evaluation or appraisal for insurance, estate sales, donations for tax write offs, or to establish it as an antique, there is an administrative fee for this service.

QUESTION: I will send the pictures today.  They may only be one per email I have a very nice nikon the pictures are around 6mb each but very large and good quality.  I was actually wrong it is not a "cannonball safe".  It's a square safe with a round screw in door.  It is also on wheels and rolls one way.  Thanks so much for the reply and when I get home today I will send those pictures out!

Answer
Dustin,

I did see your photos today - if I didn't respond to them I apologize as I meant to - but being a typical Monday I wound up with about a thousand projects dumped on me, and didn't get half of what I wanted done.

The safe is a square body Screw Door safe - NOT a cannonball safe, as you have noted.   The good news is that this is not going to effect its value.

I won't be in the office tomorrow, but I'll finish looking at the photos on Wednesday.   

Question, the photos came through as "bmp" files as opposed to "jpeg" files.   Can you resend them as in a jpeg format???   bmp format files don't allow me to zoom in to look at details of the safe.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)