Antique Safes/Old Safe

Wall Safe
Wall Safe  

Wall Safe
Wall Safe  
Hi Doug,

Approximately how old is this wall safe? It is enclosed in cylinder blocks in a building I own. It is not functional, some one must have tried to open it without the combination. Could it be of any value?

Demetica, it is from the 30'or 40's and was a great money chest made by York.  I say was because it has some serious problems , primarily the missing 2421 Yale lock.  In that condition it isn't worth too much.  Removed, cleaned and working with lock, easily $1000.  Doug

Antique Safes

Doug MacQueen

This unusual and highly innovative safe from the later 1800's is a Corliss. William, the much younger brother of George Corliss of steam engine fame, spent several years perfecting this design and it was first displayed at the 1876 Philadelphia U.S. Centennial Exhibition. I do extensive patent research helping me in the study of antique U.S. safes and safe locks. Repairs and part making for antique U.S. safes of the early to mid 1800's, both key and combination. Also the study of early round door chest designs up to and including cannonball safes of the early 1900's.

40 years in the lock and safe trade with a stint in bank service work. Openings, repairs and moving of safes of all types.

Charter member Safe and Vault Technicians Association SAVTA, National Safemans Association NSO, National Antique Safe Association NASA. No longer current.

SAVTA monthly magazine

CMS (Certified Master Safecracker- NSO) and CPS (Certified Professional Safe Technician - SAVTA)

2nd place national combination manipulation contest 1986 and now in 2016 1st place