Antique Safes/turning sequence on old safe

Question
I have an old floor safe it says United States Safe Co. - W.C. Clark Safe Co. Man'F'rs Pittsburgh Pa. I would like to know if their is a turning sequence on the combination. I think I have the right combination but I am not sure. Someone told me you have to turn the dial three or for times to each number.

Answer
John,

Generally this company used Yale locks, but they may have used others as well.   This company was in business during the early 1900's up to about the Great Depression (1930ish), in Elizabeth, NJ.

Depending on the number of wheels in the lock, and the different locks which were readily available at this time, there are basically four dialing sequences that you can try, one of which should work.   As you didn't provide the combination that you have, so that I can figure out which would probably be the correct one, I'll give you all of them to try out.

For four wheel locks the dialing sequence will be either LRLRL or RLRLR as follows:

5 times left to the first number,
4 times right to the second number,
3 times left to the third number,
2 times right to the fourth number,
1 time left until the dial stops  (may be around 10).

If this sequence doesn't work, try RLRLR instead of LRLRL.

For three wheel locks the dialing sequence will be either LRLR or RLRL as follows:

4 times Left to the first number,
3 times Right to the second number,
2 times Left to the third number,
1 time Right until the dial stops   (may be around 90)

If this sequence doesn't work, try RLRL instead of LRLR.

NOTE:   Left is counter clockwise and right is clockwise.   DO NOT count the revolutions of the dial, count the individual number as it arrives at the 12 o'clock index mark.   for instance in the first set of instructions, if your first number is 50, you would turn the dial counter clockwise (left), stopping the FIFTH time the number 50 arrives at the index mark.   If the second number is 25, you would then turn the dial clockwise, stopping the FOURTH time the number 25 arrives at the index mark.   Once you have dialed a number - FORGET IT - it has no affect on the rest of the dialing sequence, and if you are trying to go (for instance), PAST the first number four times to stop on the second number, you will simply screw up the sequence.   DO NOT add any instructions that you have to the ones above, other than using the NUMBERS that you have.

Combinations which may have been past on, are generally written the way the owner understands them and NOT necessarily the way that they actually work.   As long as the owner dials the combination with HIS errors applied correctly the combo may work.

there are ONLY three reasons that a safe lock will not open or unlock correctly - in order they are:

1.  Incorrect dialing sequence, (operator errors)
2.  Incorrect combination, (wrong numbers)
3.  Mechanical problems.

While mechanical problems may be the issue, chances are you are simply NOT dialing it correctly, or you don't have the correct numbers.

If you still can't get it open, you will need to have it checked out by a local safe company - NOT a locksmith.   contact them to have their trained safe technician checkout your safe.

If you don't have a local safe company, let me know where you are located (zip code) and I'll see who I know in your area.

Hope this helps,

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)