Antique Safes/Victor safe logos

Question
Logo Back
Logo Back  

Logo front
Logo front  
Andy,
  I read all your posts on allexperts, and found one that I wish you could elaborate on some more.  In one post you stated.....

"Also, Victor ONLY used the "In Hoc Signo Vincimus - 1885" ("In this sign we conquer"), with the Phoenix rising from the fire - (trademark) logo from 1885 until about 1904.   

Victor Safe & Lock Company participated in the 1904 Louisiana Purchase Exposition in St. Louis (Dept. D., Group 41, #0055) winning a "Grand Prize" for their exhibit.   For the next 10 years most of their safes had a decal proclaiming this prize."

I have a victor safe with both logos on it.   Am I safe in assuming that my safe is from 1904? or am I misinterpreting your post?   

Thanks for your time.
Phil

Answer
Phil,

I don't recall having seen any safes with both decals, so yours would probably have been from about the time that they were changing over.

Your safe couldn't have been built prior to the exposition, and still have THE "grand prize" decal, so it would have been built after that date.   The exposition was held from April 30th 1904 until December 1, 1904 - so any safe having the grand prize decal would have been built in 1905 or later.

There is no record of Victor Safe & Lock Company renewing the trademark logo in 1905, and unfortunately there are no records to show the actual date they stopped using it.

Assuming that safes did not start using the grand prize decal until 1905, and possibly that was the last year for use of the trademark, the probability of any safe being made that year and having both decals is possible.
It is also very probable that the use of both decals did not happen for the full year, but it would be a good guess that any safe having both decals was made during 1905.

I don't think you misinterpreted, as much as I never bothered to elaborate.   Bottom line though, as there are no factory records to give us a clear indication, we have to use known information to establish probably dates, to help establish years of manufacturing.

Hope this helps,   If you find any information that contradicts any info that I have, I would be MORE than happy to see it, and correct the information that I am currently using.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)