Antique Safes/antique Warth Baum Safe

Question
I my grandfathers Warmth Baum safe.  The number on the lock dial is 27868.  It measures 13"w 16 1/4"d 17"h and it sits on wheels.  It is in good working condition.  It is missing the center shelves/drawers but retains its original "carpet".  It sits in my uncle's home about 5 miles away from my home.  It is in fair (at best) cosmetic shape. I am interesting in moving it to my home where I will use it in my home office.  I live in Bethesda, MD
My questions:  How do I move this monster?
         Is there anyone in my area who could restore the
         safe before I make the final move?
         How could I find a drawers/shelves to replace the
         original?
         Is it worth the expense of restoration other than
         the joy of having it?

Answer
Jim,

While your "little" safe, may weigh a couple hundred pounds, it is by no means a "monster"!   As far as moving it - it has wheels, simply roll it around!   If you need to move it from one location (town) to another location, you can either hire a safe moving company, or move it yourself.   With the door open, it will lift off of the hinges, which should lower the weight of the safe by 1/4 to 1/3.   Two men should be able to lift it into a pick-up.   If not, lay down a good plank, and slide the safe up, and into the truck.   Reverse for taking it out of the truck.

I'm not sure "WHY" you would want to use it in your office, except as a decoration or display item.   It does NOT meet any standards for burglary or fire, and should not be used for overnight storage of cash, jewelry or valuable documents.    If you need a safe, then get a current model safe, this one is an antique / collectible.    Warth-Baum Safe Company was in business (under this name) from about 1870 until 1893.

There are not a lot of companies doing restoration work, and as far as the "cost" of restoration, obviously that would depend on WHAT or HOW MUCH restoration work you have done.   You could easily spend $3K to $5K if you wanted new cabinetry and a new paint job, with hand done oil paintings, however, cleaning the safe, removing the old varnish, may reveal that the old paint is in pretty good shape!    Without seeing the safe, I have no idea of what might be involved.

As for "finding" drawers/shelves to replace the original - good luck with that!    These items will have to be fabricated.    If you don't have the wood working or cabinetry skills, then you will need to find a cabinet maker to make them for you.   Again depending on the condition of the existing wood, it may be better to strip it all out and start over.

I have two companies that you can check with for restoration work, both are in New York.

Precision Lock & Safe
www.precisionlock&safe.net
516-616-0854         Elaad or Dov Israeli
240 Jericho Turnpike
Floral Park, NY   11001

Accu-Safes Inc.
www.accusafes.com
516-752-3893          Neil Krazalowski
112 Newtown Road
Plainview, NY   11803

You can discuss the restoration work with these guys to get pricing.

Hope this helps,

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)