Antique Safes/Cannonball safe

Question
I have a building that i purchased from an estate which included a cannonball safe . Im interested in knowing its value, and how to move it. If you could help me with that i would appreciate it. I can send you photos to your email tomorrow as soon as i take them. thank you.

Answer
Mike,

Cannonball safes are a unique "animal" - while they have a great appeal to anyone wanting an old safe for their collection or simply to display, because of their size and weight, it can be a difficult sell.    Prices at a well publicized auction can exceed those values that the safe might normally sell at.

As far as moving the safe, many of these safes can easily run from 5000 to 10,000 lbs, with possibly the largest being the Corliss 64" Planet Safe at about 30,000 lbs.   Moving even the smallest Mini Cannonball type safes will require special equipment and handling.   If you don't have experience moving large heavy equipment, then I really don't recommend that you take this on as a learning experience.
I also don't recommend your using regular "moving companies".   These companies are great with light weight (under 1000 lbs) furniture, but we litterally have to open and/or repair safes every month which have been damaged by these companies because they were simply NOT equipted to move safes.   Even many safe companies have severe limitations on the sizes that they will move, because they don't have the necessary equipment.
If you don't have a competent safe company in your area, let me know where you are located, and I'll see who I know in your area (zip code) that I might recommend.

In order to answer questions, identify, evaluate or appraise the “current condition” of your safe, I'm going to need photos.  They should include full exterior and interior.  Detail photos should include pictures of the dial, handles, hinges, artwork, locks, bolt work, castors, cabinetry and any special details or damage.  Note:  You may have to remove the back panel on the door to gain access to the lock & bolt work – I will need these pics.

If you have a particular detail that you have a question about, I will need a photo of it along with your question.

I will also need to see any documentation that you have in regards to your safe.  If your safe has a unique historical perspective, you should be able to document this with letters, newspaper articles or photos, if not it is simply a story and will have no bearing on the value of your safe.

Please use as high a resolution as possible so that I can examine details of your safe.  Pictures which are low resolution, out of focus, or from a distance don’t help when we try to evaluate the container.  Note:  with higher resolution, you may only be able to send 2-4 pictures per email, depending on the size of the file, I have a 10mb limit per email.  If photos are larger than 2mb each, you may only be able to send 2 or 3 photos per email, requiring several emails.

Please don’t send me “cell phone” photos.   Please use a “jpeg” format, not a bitmap (bmp) image.   Also, I don’t like “website” photo dumps.   While it may be an easy place for you to store them, retrieving photos which allow me to zoom in to look at details, takes a lot of extra time.   Please send the requested photos directly to me.

Please send all of the requested photos to:  andy@securitysafeusa.com

Note:  As I am in the field several days each week, covering a huge service area, I may not get back to your photos immediately, but I will respond as soon as I get an opportunity.  Due to field work, emails may tend to get backed up which means I may not answer them immediately.

Our informal evaluation is at no charge, however if you feel you need a formal evaluation or appraisal for insurance, estate sales, donations for tax write offs, or to establish it as an antique, there is an administrative fee for this service.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)