Antique Safes/Cary Safe

I recently acquired a Cary Safe serial #141272 and was wondering if I can find any history on it.

Don, based on the serial number it is from the early 1900's.  Cary made everything from fire safes and money chests to vault doors and jail equipment.  In business from the 1880's up to the Great Depression, the company sold a large amount of fire safes and many are still around.  Even with a quick trip to the Buffalo, NY historical society, very little was found about the company, which is a bit strange, given the years they were in business.  As with many of the makers back then, they chose to focus on the newly expanding Western US market, which explains why so many are found out there. Sorry I can't give you more info.  Doug  

Antique Safes

Doug MacQueen

This unusual and highly innovative safe from the later 1800's is a Corliss. William, the much younger brother of George Corliss of steam engine fame, spent several years perfecting this design and it was first displayed at the 1876 Philadelphia U.S. Centennial Exhibition. I do extensive patent research helping me in the study of antique U.S. safes and safe locks. Repairs and part making for antique U.S. safes of the early to mid 1800's, both key and combination. Also the study of early round door chest designs up to and including cannonball safes of the early 1900's.

40 years in the lock and safe trade with a stint in bank service work. Openings, repairs and moving of safes of all types.

Charter member Safe and Vault Technicians Association SAVTA, National Safemans Association NSO, National Antique Safe Association NASA. No longer current.

SAVTA monthly magazine

CMS (Certified Master Safecracker- NSO) and CPS (Certified Professional Safe Technician - SAVTA)

2nd place national combination manipulation contest 1986 and now in 2016 1st place