Antique Safes/combination for safe

Question
i bought a safe at a yard sale, and do not have the combination
it is a combination and key lock safe, i have the keys.
and was told that when the lst door is open with combination and key the other key would open the innner door, but they lost the combination.  i was told it was a 4 number combination left turn lst. it has a sargent and green leaf tumbler.  how can i find out the combination? it orginally came froma store that had closed

Answer
Paul,

You actually paid money for a safe with a lost combination???   Hopefully you didn't pay much over $25-$50!   Locked up safes generally have a negative value, until they are open "REGARDLESS" of how much the seller indicates they might have originally paid for the container.   People also buy safes THINKING that they are going to find some hidden treasure inside the safe - I can assure you that people NEVER sell or abandon a safe with "stuff" locked inside the safe.   The only caveat to this would have been a death in the family, but usually family members will want it opened first.

1.  Manufacturers NEVER release or publish safe information including serial numbers or combinations.
2.  Safes which are sold by outlet (KMart, Walmart, Montgomery Wards, Sears, Etc.) or big box type stores, or hardware stores are generally "cheaply" made and sold safes.
3.  Combinations "might" be recovered "IF" the manufacturer of the safe is still in business.   Generally many of the manufacturers ONLY have the last 10 years, or so, of records available, and they usually have some sort of requirement for proof of ownership, and a records search fee!    Again - only "IF" they are still in business and available.

As you did not provide any useful information about the safe, I can't point you in a direction to try at this time.   If you can provide me with any manufacturer's information I might be able to get contact information for you to try.

This brings us to two possible solutions for your safe.   First you can try all of the 1,000,000 possible combinations available for that lock.   Trying 500 each day every day, will only take around 5.5 years to test them all, though hopefully you will find the correct one before going through them all.
Second solution would involve having a safe technician from a local safe company (not a locksmith), open your safe, and recover or reset the combination for you.   Cost should be between $350 to $500 (which may be more than the safe is actually worth.

While you can probably destroy the safe to open it rather than paying someone to open it, this kind of defeats the purpose of your original purchase, which was to have a useable security, storage container.

NOTE:  I never recommend using locksmiths for safe work, as they generally do not have the training, knowledge or tools to work on safes without causing excessive damage or charging exhorbant fees.
If you do not have a local safe company, let me know where you are located (zipcode) and I'll see who I might know in your area.

I apologize if I seemed a little harsh in the beginning, but as others read these responses as well as the questioners, it is important for people to think through, before purchasing a possibly worthless container, which WILL probably cost them more to have it opened and/or repaired than it is worth.
My only hope is that you possibly purchased something that WILL have some value after it is opened and repaired.

Get me more info concerning the manufacturer of the safe, and I'll see what help I can provide.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)