Antique Safes/DIEBOLD SAFE

open safe
open safe  

My boss would like to get rid of a safe he's had for years in the office. It's a DIEBOLD and from what I can tell it's SPEC is a F1-D. Fire insulated, 1 s.m.n.a rating 1.  It's two doors and has a lot of shelves and drawers.

My first question is what is it made of? Steel, correct? If I get somebody to take it away I would like to know.

Secondly, is it worth anything? Pictures are attached.

Third, if I wanted to remove it personally, how would I go about doing so. I see it has a lot of screws on the doors. Can I remove them to remove heavy material to make it lighter?

Thank you. You can email me at  or call at  ext 2211.

ANSWER: Peter, the safe is mostly insulation material so it has no scrap value, as it would cost more to remove the insulation than the scrap value of the steel. Your desire to remove the "heavy" material would essentially make the safe worthless and unusable.  Often, safe companies that deal in used safes will take it or have them move it for you to keep.  Usually the interior sections can be removed if desired to give you a larger usable space.  Doug

QUESTION: At this point I would like to just remove it from the area. I just got a quote of around $500 which I feel is too high. I would like to attempt to take it apart myself. I took the knobs off the door hinges but the doors aren't moving. Maybe because they're too heavy. I see the inside of the doors have screws. Should I unscrew them and perhaps remove what might be inside like cement?  The rest of the safe seems light because I can move it when I push it.  Thanks again.

Just remember that once you start tearing it up, there is no going back, as the safe will be junk.  Having cut a big double door Mosler fire safe into pieces, I can tell you that you are in for messy tough job.  By the time you are finished that $500 won't sound too bad.  Doug

Antique Safes

Doug MacQueen

This unusual and highly innovative safe from the later 1800's is a Corliss. William, the much younger brother of George Corliss of steam engine fame, spent several years perfecting this design and it was first displayed at the 1876 Philadelphia U.S. Centennial Exhibition. I do extensive patent research helping me in the study of antique U.S. safes and safe locks. Repairs and part making for antique U.S. safes of the early to mid 1800's, both key and combination. Also the study of early round door chest designs up to and including cannonball safes of the early 1900's.

40 years in the lock and safe trade with a stint in bank service work. Openings, repairs and moving of safes of all types.

Charter member Safe and Vault Technicians Association SAVTA, National Safemans Association NSO, National Antique Safe Association NASA. No longer current.

SAVTA monthly magazine

CMS (Certified Master Safecracker- NSO) and CPS (Certified Professional Safe Technician - SAVTA)

2nd place national combination manipulation contest 1986 and now in 2016 1st place