Antique Safes/Excelsior Beard and Brother Safe

Question
safe
safe  

safe-2
safe-2  
I read your answer to a question about this type of safe and decided to do some restoration to mine. I wanted to get to the lock works to maybe have a good key made. ( The key we got with the safe was misplaced, fortunately, I had made a crude back-up which works after a lengthy, agonizing, and sometimes many attempts.) When I removed the back from the door, I found refractory. Should I remove this or will it devalue the safe? I can send more pics to your e-mail.

Answer
Dan,

If you have a "back up key" I would recommend using it to have a new key made.   You will need a good safe man, familiar with making keys for antique safes.

While you can remove the insulation material or mortar to get access to the lock, this isn't an easy task to remove or to repair, but it will allow you to make an exact key that will operate the lock with no problems.

While you have the lock out and disassembled, I would service it.   Remove any rust and polish the metal, before lubricating.   It probably hasn't had service since it was built, and probably won't again.

When you rebuild the door, I would recommend building in a "service portal", so that future work or service will NOT require the insulation removal.

As long as the work you do returns the safe to original or close to original, and does not exterior damage, it shouldn't affect the value.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)