Antique Safes/herring/farrell safe

safe pic
safe pic  

inside safe
inside safe  
Hey Terry,I had recently found a Herring/Farrell patent champion safe in the field of my newly purchased home,I thought it was really neat,its rusted pretty good,the art work is still readable.The only thing is the locking mechanism is missing,the inside is decent,I guess what I'm asking is,would it be worth anything other than a headache to try to restore it,and if so where would I find parts,and papers on how it should be.Thanks alot for your time..Shawn

Unfortunately someone has stolen the lock work for their collection.   Many locksmiths and/or safe techs don't have room for multiple safes as a collection, so they collect the locks instead.   Problem is that they leave a lot of "dead" safes in their wake.

Bottom line, if you like this safe - restore it and use it as a display item.   You can look for a lock in the mean time, but chances are if you find one, it is either going to be in someone's collection, or on another safe.   At that time you will need to decide if your safe or the new safe is in better condition, and which one to keep.   Or keep them both.

Even with out the locking mechanism, this safe would make a neat cigar humidor, or a wine or liqueur cabinet.

I'm not sure what "papers" you are looking for as there are no documents from the manufacturer.   I have photos of many old safes, again - unfortunately there are very few original documents or photos of what a brand new safe coming from the factory may have looked like.

If you want a "complete" safe, that you can display, fully functional, with little work for you to do (DIY Project), then I would pass on this one and keep looking around.   There are plenty of old safes if you look for them.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada