Antique Safes/John Lowe Safe

Question
Plaque
Plaque  

Safe
Safe  

I'm clearing out the garage of the house that I bought last year. In there is an old safe that's seen better days externally but after a bit of WD40 I was able to open with the key (which I found elsewhere)

It's marked Fire & Thief Proof - John Lowe Manchester and inside there are 2 drawers (that I don't have keys for but are open).

The external rust is only surface so it could be restored I guess though given its weight & likely shipping costs I was wondering if it's actually worth anything other than scrap value?

Dimensions are 66 cm high x 44.5 cm deep x 51 cm wide.

Answer
Hello Darren,

Thanks for your question and the pictures.  The safe is described as 'square cornered' as it was fabricated from mild steel sheets rivetted to an angle iron frame, hence the sharp 90 degree corners.  This type of construction was already obsolete by 1890 so your safe is very ancient.  The weight comes from the walls being filled with sand and sawdust to provide some basic level of fire proofing.

Sadly it has very little value.  Scrap dealers usually won't accept them because the sand and sawdust makes such a mess of their yards.  There are collectors of these old safes - they like to refurbish them to a veryn high standard and sell them on.  To get some idea of prices, take a look for antique safes on eBay.

Best regards,

Mikew Palmer FsyI
Mike Palmer Consultancy

Antique Safes

Mike Palmer