Antique Safes/The Marvin Safe Company

Question
marvin safe
marvin safe  
i discovered your web site while doing an internet search on the "Marvin Safe Company".  I am in posession of what I believe is an antique safe-pat'd july 5, 1882.  When my family purchased the home in 1956 this safe was left behind by the previous owner.  I believe the safe was too  heavy to move at that time and to this day is still in the same room of the house where it was originally found. The safe appears to be made of cast iron and steel. Do you think this afe would have any value greater than it's weight as scrap metal?  I have attached one picture; if you think it's worth it I can send more.  Thanks in advance for your opinion.

Robert

Answer
Robert,

"Greater value as Scrap Metal" - you are kidding right???

As far as the "quantity" of metal in this safe, it has thin inner and outer skins, surrounding a really thick mortar (fire insulation) wall.   There is actually a lot less steel in these old safes than it appears, and most salvage yards won't accept them unless you strip the steel.

As the Marvin Safe Compay was in business from 1838 until 1892, when it merged with two other companies to form "Herring-Hall-Marvin", and with a patent date of 1882, your safe would have been built between 1883 to 1892, so it WOULD be an antique.

I would be more than happy to look at your safe to appraise it for you.    In order to answer questions, identify, evaluate or appraise the “current condition” of your safe, I'm going to need photos.  They should include full exterior and interior.  Detail photos should include pictures of the dial, handles, hinges, artwork, locks, bolt work, castors, cabinetry and any special details or damage.  Note:  You may have to remove the back panel on the door to gain access to the lock & bolt work – I will need these pics.

If you have a particular detail that you have a question about, I will need a photo of it along with your question.

I will also need to see any documentation that you have in regards to your safe.  If your safe has a unique historical perspective, you should be able to document this with letters, newspaper articles or photos, if not it is simply a story and will have no bearing on the value of your safe.

Please use as high a resolution as possible so that I can examine details of your safe.  Pictures which are low resolution, out of focus, or from a distance don’t help when we try to evaluate the container.  Note:  with higher resolution, you may only be able to send 2-4 pictures per email, depending on the size of the file, I have a 10mb limit per email.  If photos are larger than 2mb each, you may only be able to send 2 or 3 photos per email, requiring several emails.

Please don’t send me “cell phone” photos.   Please use a “jpeg” format, not a bitmap (bmp) image.   Also, I don’t like “website” photo dumps.   While it may be an easy place for you to store them, retrieving photos which allow me to zoom in to look at details, takes a lot of extra time.   Please send the requested photos directly to me.

Please send all of the requested photos to:  andy@securitysafeusa.com

Note:  As I am in the field several days each week, covering a huge service area, I may not get back to your photos immediately, but I will respond as soon as I get an opportunity.  Due to field work, emails may tend to get backed up which means I may not answer them immediately.

Our informal evaluation is at no charge, however if you feel you need a formal evaluation or appraisal for insurance, estate sales, donations for tax write offs, or to establish it as an antique, there is an administrative fee for this service.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)