Antique Safes/Nedd a lock

I just aquired a safe. It is a "Safe Cabinet Laboratory" number 16157 Standard ME type. Someone removed the combination lock from it before I got it. Everything else is in good working order. I can see that a newer style lock will not fit it. Is there a lock available to fit this safe? If so, at what cost?
Alan Rau

Sorry, the locks that were originally made for this company haven't been made since the mid 1950's.    If you can find one, it would be an old lock salvaged from a damaged safe.

Newer locks WILL fit, though the safe will have to be modified to work with it.   You also have the possible option of using a digital lock.   As electronic locks use a "cable", you don't have to worry about the alignment problems you have with mechanical locks.

Cost WILL depend on what you have done, and the company that does the work.  Generally you will be looking at about an hours worth of work, and the cost of a new lock.   Depending on what type of lock you want, you can probably look at between $165 to about $1000.

Sorry, I can't be more specific, but without knowing what type of lock that you want, all I can do is give you some of the $$$ parameters.

If you were to bring it in my shop for repairs you would be looking at about $400 in the field about $500.   Obviously prices will vary from shop to shop, and depending on where you are located, and more importantly, depending on the lock that you choose.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada