Antique Safes/old diebold safe

Hi there,
My husband and I have this old Diebold safe and can not find any info on its worth. The label on the front says safe manufacturing national association
Cat no 12426, smna group 3, spec b1, 10Y 39086

There is also a label inside on the door from underwriters laboratories inc group 1 no-303153

Any help about this would be great. We appreciate your time!
Thank you Chrissy

The "Safe Manufacturing National Association" (SMNA) was a testing agency, similar to UL, testing safes for burglary or fire resistance, from the mid 1920's until about 1964.   Other than that it has nothing to do with your safe.

The "Group 3, specification" indicates that the safe was a burglary Resistive chest, with a minimum door thickness of 1-1/2" (exclusive of bolt work) and a minimum body thickness of 1".
Generally these were round door chests.

The "UL" label is probably for the relocking device installed in the door.  

This safe had no fire resistance at all, it was simply a burglary resistive chest.

While these safes "may" meet minimum standards for burglary resistance today, they have no resale value due to the limited storage capacity, and obsolescence.    Parts are not available for these containers either.    They are NOT considered collectible, and they are not antique (over 100 years old).

While I personally like the construction of many of these containers, it doesn't change the fact that they have resale value.

If you like it and it works, then I would consider using it - though it WILL need regular maintenance to stay in working condition.

Sorry, that the news isn't any better.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada