Antique Safes/old diebold safe

Question
Hi there,
My husband and I have this old Diebold safe and can not find any info on its worth. The label on the front says safe manufacturing national association
Cat no 12426, smna group 3, spec b1, 10Y 39086

There is also a label inside on the door from underwriters laboratories inc group 1 no-303153

Any help about this would be great. We appreciate your time!
Thank you Chrissy

Answer
Chrissy,

The "Safe Manufacturing National Association" (SMNA) was a testing agency, similar to UL, testing safes for burglary or fire resistance, from the mid 1920's until about 1964.   Other than that it has nothing to do with your safe.

The "Group 3, specification" indicates that the safe was a burglary Resistive chest, with a minimum door thickness of 1-1/2" (exclusive of bolt work) and a minimum body thickness of 1".
Generally these were round door chests.

The "UL" label is probably for the relocking device installed in the door.  

This safe had no fire resistance at all, it was simply a burglary resistive chest.

While these safes "may" meet minimum standards for burglary resistance today, they have no resale value due to the limited storage capacity, and obsolescence.    Parts are not available for these containers either.    They are NOT considered collectible, and they are not antique (over 100 years old).

While I personally like the construction of many of these containers, it doesn't change the fact that they have resale value.

If you like it and it works, then I would consider using it - though it WILL need regular maintenance to stay in working condition.

Sorry, that the news isn't any better.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)