Antique Safes/Sable safe antique

Question
I have a Sable safe huge floor model that is in grandma,s basement.
I would like to know if it is worth retrieving or letting it sell with the house.
It is 6 feet high and 3 feet wide.
Heavy as all get out.
All drawers on inside have keys and work.
We have combination and main lock works.
Thanks,
Cyndi

Answer
Cynthia,

I did see the photos that you sent to my email address, but haven't had time to respond.

The Sable Safe Company (Cleveland & Detroit) was "NOT" a manufacturer, they were simply a "safe retailer", selling mainly used safes, and possibly some new ones.   The "label" on the safe was simply for advertising purposes.

Unfortunately the photos that you sent were not what I need to be able to ID the safe, though based on the construction, the safe was probably made during the 1920's to 40's.   It does not appear to be a fire resistive type safe, but rather what we term a "skeleton" type safe.

As far as value to you - if you are looking at it as a possible way of getting out of debt for the rest of your life - forget it, the lottery is probably a better bet, and you know what your odds are to win it!   LOL.
However, if the safe has any sentimental value, as in it was Grandma's safe, and something that you can use, and pass on to your kids or grandkids, then yes, it is worth while.

If you would like me to take a look at it, I will need some better photos of the safe.   In order to answer specific questions, identify, evaluate or appraise your safe, I'm going to need photos.  They should include full exterior and interior.  Detail photos should include pictures of the dial, handles, hinges, artwork, locks, bolt work, castors, cabinetry and any special details or damage.  Note:  You may have to remove the back panel on the door to gain access to the lock & bolt work – I will need these pics.

If you have a particular detail that you have a question about, I will need a photo of it along with your question.

I will also need to see any documentation that you have in regards to your safe.  If your safe has a unique historical perspective, you should be able to document this with letters, newspaper articles or photos, if not it is simply a story and will have no bearing on the value of your safe.

Please use as high a resolution as possible so that I can examine details of your safe.  Pictures which are low resolution, out of focus, or from a distance don’t help when we try to evaluate the container.  Note:  with higher resolution, you may only be able to send 2-4 pictures per email, depending on the size of the file, I have a 10mb limit per email.  If photos are larger than 2mb each, you may only be able to send 2 or 3 photos per email, requiring several emails.

Please don’t send me “cell phone” photos.   Also, please don’t use online, internet photo drops as most of these also don’t allow me to easily access the photos for examination.   Send the pics directly to me, while this may be more work for you, it will make my job easier.

Please send all of the requested photos to:  andy@securitysafeusa.com

Note:  As I am in the field several days each week, covering a huge service area, I may not get back to your photos immediately, but I will respond as soon as I get an opportunity.  Due to field work, emails may tend to get backed up which means I may not answer them immediately.

Our informal evaluation is at no charge, however if you feel you need a formal evaluation or appraisal for insurance, estate sales, donations for tax write offs, or to establish it as an antique, there is an administrative fee for this service.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)