Antique Safes/Salt Lake area

Is there any place in the Salt Lake City area that does restorations of antique safes? I have a Diebold & Kienzle safe that I would like to see what it would take to restore it. I live in the Salt Lake Valley & haven't been able to find anyone, so I thought I would try you & see if you have any suggestions. Thanks

Sorry, nobody that I'm aware of.

You need to think "out side of the box" (safe) so to speak!!!   If you don't have someone that specializes in this type of work, then think about who you do have available.

Obviously "RESTORATION" work will depend on the current condition of your safe, AND what work you want done.    If the interior is a mess, then you will need someone who does cabinetry work.   If the exterior of the safe is in bad condition, then you will need a painter or painters to repair it or restore it.

I have a custom, award winning, motorcycle/car painter that I use when I want some really nice graphics work done, or some hand oil paintings.

Options (if you don't have any DIY talents) would include, local college, university, or community college art departments.   If they don't want to take on your safe as a restoration project, then they might have some talented artists that you can use (extra credit project or for cash) to work on your safe.
Similarly the college might have a wood working shop, that would be interested in doing the cabinetry work.

Any lock work could be taken on by a local safe company.   Obviously if they don't want to work on the locks, it is either because they don't have the time, or they simply don't have the training or knowledge (usually the latter).

One word of caution, make sure that there is some type of "meeting of the minds" on what you would like done to the safe.   A major problem with artists is that all they tend to hear while they are thinking about the project is "Blah, blah, blah"!    If the artist does NOT have the EXACT same vision for the project as you have, then the end item will NOT be what you are planning.   If you are paying them some big dollars for the work, you should have some say so in what or how it is going to turn out - before you get it home!
Everything needs to be in writing, and YOU need to sign off on any art work before it is done on the safe.

Sorry, I wish I had someone to recommend you go to, but I don't have anyone in your area.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada