Antique Safes/York Safe

Question
My wife purchased from her great aunts family this safe many years ago.
The dimensions are: 21 1/2" H (not including wheels),17 5/8"W,
17"D and has 4 shelves on left inside. Top shelf has pull open door,next shelf has pull out drawer,next two are open.
The numbers inside door:  Group 1 63675 ,Spec F1-D   1X25194
Exposure# 1713-1.
There are two marks above the dial: 1 at 12 o'clock position,and another at 1 o'clock position. The acorns on the hinge are solid.
The combo we were given is: 70 Right , 89 Left twice, 3 Right,
2 Left.
It will not open if locked which we do not do.
Any thoughts on this will be very appreciated. What good is a safe that can't be locked?
Thanks for your help.
Bob Folsom
Manteo,NC

Answer
Robert,

There are ONLY three reasons that a safe lock will not open, they are:

1.  Incorrect dialing sequence (operator errors)
2.  Incorrect combination, (wrong numbers),
3.  Mechanical problems.

Many times combinations are passed on the way the former owner "understands" the combination, and NOT actually how it works.   This can easily result in errors which don't allow the lock to open correctly.

It appears from your description and the information that you have provided, that the safe is probably not opening from a combination of #'s 1 and 2.

The correct dialing sequence, assuming that your safe has a YALE lock would be:

4 times right to the first number, (70)
3 times left to the second number, (89)
2 times right to the third number, (__)
1 time left until the dial stops, should be around 10.

NOTE:   Left is counter clockwise, Right is clockwise.   DO NOT count the revolution of the dial, count the INDIVIDUAL number as it arrives at the 12 o'clock index mark.   Do not use the second index mark.

So for your first number, you are going to turn the dial clockwise (right), stopping the fourth time the number 70 ARRIVES at the 12 o'clock index mark.   As you are turning right, count 70 once, 70 twice, 70 three times, and stop on 70 the fourth time.

If this sequence does not work, then simply try reversing the directions or LRLR instead of RLRL.   if it still doesn't work, then you are either still making a dialing error or you do not have the correct combination.   At this point I would recommend contacting a local safe company.

Ray Talton
Talton's Safes
919-779-3545
5924 Fayetteville Road  (401 South)
Raleigh, NC   27603

If Ray can't help you, he may know of someone closer to you.

Hope this helps,  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)