Antique Safes/Bordello 1869 safe.

Question
1869
1869  
I have this little antique miniature that is 13 inches high x 11.
I thought it might have been a saleman sample safe but it appears it's a Bordello safe that was only made for about 5 years. It has ball feet. I hd it on E-bay as believed to be a Saleman sample .  I got a call from a nice gentleman who deals in Antique safes. He said it was a rare Bordellosafe and that it once had a stand and that the bottom was either added or used from part of the old stand that my have broken.  I really looked this safe over and believe it was made this way. Maybe a table model?  It is missing its combo spin dial but has the Mechanism.  It is painted on all sides with beautiful old paintings. landscapes.  Would you consider looking at this ?  I just would like another opinion.  Thanks Rick  

Answer
Rick,

"Bordello" safes was a popularized name to give them more interest, when in fact very few were ever used and/or documented to have been used in any Bordello's.   In fact these were Parlor Safes, designed as a personal safe in a house or "Master's Bedroom" or Boudoir, for keeping of personal valuables.   Having them in a Bordello, would have given the "guest" a place to keep his valuables, but as it wasn't feasible for the guest to change the combination, this would have meant that they would have had to trust their valuables to the "proprietor" of the establishment - if this was the case, it would have been just as believable as simply handing them your wallet for safe keeping while you were "involved"!

As far as "rare", there are far fewer of these safes than most other types, and they do have fairly good value.   I would be more than happy to look at your safe.    As this one doesn't have stand, I will need some good photos of the bottom of the safe and of each of the "legs".

In order to answer specific questions, identify, evaluate or appraise your safe, I'm going to need photos.  They should include full exterior and interior.  Detail photos should include pictures of the dial, handles, hinges, artwork, locks, bolt work, castors, cabinetry and any special details or damage.  Note:  You may have to remove the back panel on the door to gain access to the lock & bolt work – I will need these pics.

If you have a particular detail that you have a question about, I will need a photo of it along with your question.

I will also need to see any documentation that you have in regards to your safe.  If your safe has a unique historical perspective, you should be able to document this with letters, newspaper articles or photos, if not it is simply a story and will have no bearing on the value of your safe.

Please use as high a resolution as possible so that I can examine details of your safe.  Pictures which are low resolution, out of focus, or from a distance don’t help when we try to evaluate the container.  Note:  with higher resolution, you may only be able to send 2-4 pictures per email, depending on the size of the file, I have a 12mb limit per email.  If photos are larger than 2mb each, you may only be able to send 2 or 3 photos per email, requiring several emails.

Please don’t send me “cell phone” photos.   Also, please don’t use online, internet photo drops as most of these also don’t allow me to easily access the photos for examination.   Send the pics directly to me, while this may be more work for you, it will make my job easier.

Please send all of the requested photos to:  andy@securitysafeusa.com

Note:  As I am in the field several days each week, covering a huge service area, I may not get back to your photos immediately, but I will respond as soon as I get an opportunity.  Due to field work, emails may tend to get backed up which means I may not answer them immediately.

Our informal evaluation is at no charge, however if you feel you need a formal evaluation or appraisal for insurance, estate sales, donations for tax write offs, or to establish it as an antique, there is an administrative fee for this service.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)