Antique Safes/Burke & Barnes Fire Proof Salamander

Question
Hi Doug, I found a Burke and Barnes Fire Proof Salamander in my new house.Assumably it is between 1850-1870 given the information off this website. I was wondering if you know approximately how much it may be worth? It has some rust and has been painted over. Also, I was wondering if you know how I could get a key to use it for myself (safe was unlocked when found). I would have uploaded photos, but my tablet wouldn't let me.

Answer
Vada Jo, without a working key and original paint, unfortunately not so much.  Also, the rust with these safes can be a bigger problem than what is immediately observed as I have found that out the hard way.  I would guess around $500, unless it has elaborate decorative castings, which would kick the price up.  Most "salamander" safes have the lock buried under the insulation, and it is a big job to remove and replace.  Key blanks are not available and have to be handmade.  With the lock removed, a plain cobbled together key can be a couple hundred and a decent replica key $500 or more depending on the lock style.  I specialize in making keys of this type, so these estimates are based on my pricing. Making a key just to be able to use the safe is questionable, but generally it is worth doing as a collectable antique safe.  Doug  

Antique Safes

Doug MacQueen