Antique Safes/Help with opening and old Safe

Question
Lock pic
Lock pic  
Safe pic
Safe pic  
QUESTION: Hello Andy,

I would like to ask for your advice.  My grandmother has and old  Remington & Sherman Co. safe in Guatemala.  Unfortunately she had a stroke and sadly her mind is not the same.  She was the only person that knew the lock combination.
What would be your recommendation for having the safe opened without damaging it or destroying it?  By chance do you know any safe & vault experts down in Guatemala?
I would greatly appreciate any input you may give me.  
Sincere thanks,

Al

ANSWER: Al,

The lock that I would expect to be on this safe, based on your photos, and the patent dates, I would suspect it to be a Yale 062-1/2 model lock.

The dialing sequence for this lock would be:

5 times right to the first number,
4 times left to the second number,
3 times right to the third number,
2 times left to the fourth number,
1 time right until the dial stops.

NOTE:  Left is counter clockwise, Right is clockwise.   Do not count the revolutions of the dial, count the INDIVIDUAL number as it arrives at the 12 o'clock index mark.

Note:  If you don't have a combination, with a 4 wheel lock, there are a potential 100,000,000 possible combinations.   Testing 500 every day, would only take about 553 years to test them all.   If you have some numbers from your grandmother, you can test them, using the above sequence.

I'm sorry, but I don't have any contacts to refer you to in Central America.   You may want to check some of the larger cities to see if there are any safe companies (NOT locksmiths).    See if they have a safe technician who can work on your safe.

Sorry I don't have a better solution.    Hopefully your grandmother will recover some of her memories.

QUESTION: Thank you so much for the answer!

I was afraid it was not going to be easy.  If I manage to ship the safe to someone like you, how much would it cost to open it and having the safe back in working order?

Again thanks for your help,

Al

Answer
Al,

In the shop, total cost for opening the safe, and recovering or resetting the combination (including servicing the lock and bolt work) would be $375 US.

I have no idea what the shipping costs would be, but it might be more than the safe would be worth.

One of my Safe Techs is from Mexico.   He goes back on vacation every year or so.   I'll discuss the work with him, as he could do it also.

Send me an email with your contact info, and I'll talk to him about it.    If we can work something out, that might be a solution for you - but no promises!

Send the email to me at:   andy@securitysafeusa.com  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)