Antique Safes/Herring Hall Marvin Safe

Question
Safe 1
Safe 1  

Safe Handle
Safe Handle  
Hi there - We have a Herring Hall Marvin Safe in our garage that came with the house. We're interested in opening it somehow, if possible. Initially I'd like to know how much work it would be to determine if it's worth our time - we're willing to put some hours into it, just want to know what the probability of us getting it open is. I've attached some photos of the safe and the pieces we have to work with - unfortunately it appears there is no dial. It's sold concrete all around, it appears, as we were able to pry up the metal casing on top to check. Three of us can't move it an inch - it's a beast. And we're thinking we'll have to use a jackhammer to break it down to eventually move it.

Thanks so much for any advice you can give us on the next steps!

- Jason

Answer
Jason,

Unfortunately, with the dial missing you are pretty much down to two possible solutions, you can either continue to destroy it, until you have it in small enough pieces to scrap or take to the dump, or you can have a safe technician from a local safe company open it for you.

Also, unfortunately, it may be, beyond repairs at this point - its hard to tell how much damage has been done from the photos.

As this company has been out of business for over 60 years, replacement parts are not going to be readily available, and might have to be fabricated or machined.

As far as "value vs what your time is worth",  that is up to you, and what your level of frustration allows.    Once you get past the outer skin, and all of the concrete, you will be up against a thick steel inner shell.   You are not going to simply pry this monster open.

As far as hours - you had better change that to days, depending on what tools you have available.

Cost to have it opened could easily run in the $500 to $850 - with no repairs.

Value after its opened - pretty much $0, unless you have plans for it.

Because of its interior capacity (size), and obsolescence, it has no commercial or retail value.

Sorry wish the news was better.   I'm sure you will have a lot of fun trying to demolish it and/or remove it.

My recommendation, simply pay some one to haul it away for disposal.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)