Antique Safes/John Tann Safe Number 9901

Question
John Tann Safe
John Tann Safe  

The lock
The lock  
I brought a John Tann safe with no key, I had a lock smith open it by drilling a hole in the door and found it had a different lock to it, can you tell me can I buy parts for it and what year was the safe made and is there any thing about the safe you can tell me about. Thank you.

Answer
Hi Vanessa,

Thank you for your enquiry. This John Tann safe was made in 1883/4.  It is of slightly unusual construction, usually referred to as 'pillar banded'.  The back and two sides were formed from a single sheet of mild steel bent 4 times.  Top and bottom plates were then added and held in place by vertical 'pillar bands' on each of the 4 corners.  In this case fake hinges were added on one side, presumably to confuse and prospective safe cracker - they wouldn't know if the safe was hinged on the left or right.

Naturally, with the safe being nearly 130 years old, spares are very hard to come by, especially in New Zealand.

It is no longer any use as a safe but it is an interesting piece of Victorian engineering.  It wouldn't fetch much in the UK were Tann safes are very common, but if tastefuly refurbished, it could do well in New Zealand.  It is a shame the locksmith couldn't pick the lock open - he/she could then have serviced the lock and cut new keys.  My best advice is to log on to the New Zealand Locksmiths Association website and phone around to see if anyone can find a suitable replacement lock.

Just for your information, Edward Tann was the world's first safemaker, established in 1799 and eventually taken over by his grandson John.  They later moved to offices further up Newgate Street - the reason was said to be that upstairs at number 11, windows overlooked the execution yard in the notorious Newgate Prison.  This tended to put the office workers off their sandwiches.

Mike Palmer FSyI
Mike Palmer Consultancy

Antique Safes

Mike Palmer