Antique Safes/migh-t-safe opening instructions or suggestions

Hello there,

I am a property owner in Los Angeles and came across one of these migh-t-safe incased in concrete and recessed into the original hardwood floors of a 1923 historic building off Wilshire Blvd. I managed to remove the paint that was not allowing me to see the numbers. Now that I have the numbers I cannot figure out how to open it. I've attempted to contact various locksmith to no avail. Are there locksmiths safe experts in the downtown Los Angeles that you can recommend to me?

Thank you in advance for your time,

Leon Zoltzman
(818) 482-0633

The dialing sequence for the "Migh-T-Safe" is as follows:

4 times left to the first number,
3 times right to the second number,
2 times left to the third number,
1 time right slowly to around "44", you will feel a slight "click", then
1 time left to retract the bolt work, until dial stops.

Note:  left is counter clockwise, Right is clockwise.   DO NOT count the revolutions of the dial, count the individual number as it arrives at the index mark.

Note:  the lock lever is NOT spring loaded, but is a "friction type fence".   If the lock is dirty or rusty, this lever may be bound up and might not engage the drive wheel during the final turn (you may not feel the "click").

These doors came in both a two bolt version and a three bolt version.

If you don't have an actual combination for the safe, then you will need the services of a trained safe technician, NOT a locksmith.    There are only a few in the LA area that I would recommend.   While some of them may not be in "downtown" LA, don't worry about it as they cover the whole LA area.   

My first recommendation would be:

Professional Safe Cracking
760-805-2958     Todd Kerm
Temecula, CA   Covers all of LA

Blue Sky Safes, Inc.
877-765-7233     Neil Stratton
280 N Benson Ave #8
Upland, CA 91786      service from LA to Palm Springs

Los Angeles Safe & Vault
909-620-5168     Bob Stabley
110 San Lorenzo St.
Pomona, CA 91766

One of these three should be able to help you out.  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada