Antique Safes/milners safe box

Im Vasilis from Greece.I found a big about 1.40x80x80cm milner safe box in very good condition with keys.Work very well but the door not close well.Its have a number in frond up right side.Whats is the price i can sell it.

Hello Vasilis,

Thank you for your question.

Milner's was founded in late 1800's and was one of the busiest safe manufacturers, remaining in business until the 1960's when it jointed Chatwood to be come Chatwood-Milner and then being taken over by Chubb.  During this long period of manufacture, they made hundreds of different models so I need to know more about your safe before I could comment on its value.

It sounds like the hinges have worn so the door is binding on the body.  The door will probably life off the hinges to allow a spacer to be added.  However, at least 30% of the weight of the safe is in the door, so this is a job best left to a safe engineer.

It would be helpful if you could send me a couple of pictures; one with the door shut showing the whole of the front of the safe, and one with the door open so I can see the bolt-work and door thickness.  If it is easier, you can send pictures directly to

Best regards,

Mike Palmer FSyI
Mike Palmer Consultancy

Antique Safes

Mike Palmer

I earn my living identifying safes and suggesting cash limits for risk advisors and insurance surveyors in the UK. I'm am pleased to comment on safes manufactured in the UK or Mainland Europe but I am unable to accept questions regarding safes made in the USA or elsewhere.

I have been in the UK safe industry for 40 years and have one of the largest archive databases of old safe literature and serial numbers in the country. I started with Chubb in 1960 and became Assistant Manager of their Bank Security Division before moving on to become the Insurance Liaison Manager with the John Tann Group. I became Sales & Marketing Director for Guardian Safes Limited before semi-retiring. I am a Fellow of the Security Institute and ex-Chairman of Eurosafe UK, a trade body representing the interests of UK safe makers and distributors. I now work as a part time consultant.

I am an advisor to the Safe Committee of the Association of Insurance Surveyors, a Fellow of the Security Institute and founding Chairman of Eurosafe UK.

I have had literally scores of articles published in various security trade publications. So far this year I have had 24 features published in various journals including Keyways, Professional Security, Pawnbroker and Safe India. I have published one book, Peckham Boy, the life and times of the world's greatest safe cracker.

No relevant educational credentials.

In 1997 I was awarded the annual shield by the Association of Insurance Surveyors for "..outstanding services to crime prevention"

I have represented or been an agent for the John Tann Group (Stratford, Ratner, Dreadnought and Tann safes); Churchill Safes, Chubb Safe Co Ltd, SLS Safes, SMP Safes, Dudley Safes and several others