Antique Safes/Miniature Safe?

Question
safe
safe  

safe
safe  
Hi
I have a miniature safe dimensions are
8.5" High
6" wide
5" Deep
and weighs 12 Kilos

Locks top, bottom and both sides...same as a big safe

Any information you could give me would be gratefully appreciated....Maker, age, use etc....

Thank you
Mark

Answer
Hello Mark,

Thank you for your enquiry and the excellent pictures.  I have to admit that in 46 years in the safe industry, I have never seen a miniature safe like this.  

The type of construction is referred to as a 'square cornered' as it was built from individual mild-steel plates riveted onto an angle-iron frame, thereby creating sharp 90 degree corners.  By 1890 this type of safe was already obsolete so I would guess that this little safe dates back to circa 1870 - 1890.  In the late Victorian era, there were scores of Black Country safe makers and there are no marks or clues to indicate who made this one.

Why would you want such a small safe?  My best guess is that it was made by an apprentice to demonstrate his skills.  I have seen other apprentice-made safes but never a miniature.  It is definitely unique and I am very envious.

Mike Palmer FSyI
Mike Palmer Consultancy.

Antique Safes

Mike Palmer