Antique Safes/how to move a safe

Question
I have a safe in my basement that came with the house I bought two years ago.  The previous owner indicated that it came with the house when they purchased it as well.  It is open and appears is ok condition.  I'm not sure about selling it but definitely want to get it out of the basement and out of the little closet it is in.

I think from looking around online that it may way between 3 and 5000 pounds.  How is something like this lifted and moved.  Once mobile I have to move it up two steps and across a room with a wood floor to get it out of the basement.

Once its out of the house what should I do with this thing?  Are there interested parties that would want this type of antique?  Someone that would come get it or somewhere I could take it?

Answer
Timothy,

Sorry, but for liability reasons we do not give out instructions on moving heavy safes or equipment.

To most people 500 lbs is a heavy safe, and without proper training, tools and equipment even THIS "light" weight, can kill or severely injure.   when you multiply that factor by 10 to come up to 5000 lbs, you aren't incrementally increasing the odds of injury or death - they increase by factors of 10.

what this means is that 5000 lbs, can kill you at least 100 times quicker, and there are no injuries.   Where 500 lbs can crush your hand, 5000 lbs will take your whole arm off.

Last year in Colorado, 4 professional safe movers were installing a large safe in a bank, when they made a mistake and the safe fell on one crushing him, and trapping the other three in a room.   The three were forced to sit and watch their friend die, until the fire department could free them from the room, and they were able to get tools and equipment to get the safe off of their dead friend.    These guys were trained and had the proper equipment.

So the only advice I can give you is that you need to find a trained, qualified safe moving company to have them do the work.   Your chances for successfully moving this safe out of the basement will improve dramatically.

Obviously the cost to move a heavy safe out of the basement, may not be cheap.    If you are trying to save money by doing it yourself - it isn't worth the risk.

As far as selling the safe once it is out of the house, obviously I would have to see the safe to determine its potential value.   Generally safe companies don't simply "take" old safes off of your hands.   There will still be a fee to remove it, and possibly one to dispose of it.    while they may ultimately decide to restore and/or sell it - they are in the business to make money, so be prepared to pay someone to take it off your hands.

If you are successful in having the safe removed from the basement, and after having it appraised you may still want to sell it.   You have several options available - but unless you have a place to store it, time is not going to be on your side.    you can advertise on Ebay, Craigslist, or with local advertisers.   You can use a local antique dealer to sell the safe, or possibly an auction house - those dealers and auction houses usually have at least a 30% commission on items they sell for you.

I wish the news was better, but I'm sure that you understand why I can't simply give out the info you are requesting.   As this is a general forum, others reading it may decide to attempt this type of work, unsuccessfully, and of course seek help from lawyers, for their irresponsible behavior.   I'm personally not interested in making either them or their lawyers richer.

Good luck, and check for a local safe company that is qualified to move your safe.

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)