Antique Safes/old safes

Mosler safe
Mosler safe  

Meilink safe
Meilink safe  
I have two old safes -- a Mosler and a Meilink both of which I need to sell or dispose of. The Mosler is a very heavy duty cool looking old safe with the circular door and internal locking door as well. Any information on their value or how to dispose of them would be appreciated. Pictures attached.

Unfortunately neither of these are antiques and they are not collectibles.   The Mosler is obsolete and has no commercial or retail value.   The Meilink (which is a fire resistive container) appears to be a 1950's or early 60's model, which would make it over 50 years old, so it does not meet current standards for fire resistance and also has no commercial or retail value.

While they have no value under the above categories, this doesn't mean that they have no value, what it means is that you have an extremely limited market.

The Mosler being obsolete, means there are no parts available (for years), it has huge maintenance requirements, and due to its heavy weight is not something that people will be able to easily move.   These are all negative value items.

If you were to call up our shop, we would probably charge you around $600 to haul them away for disposal.

The positive end of this discussion, is that there are people who really like the old lug door models, unfortunately to find them you will have to advertise, advertise, advertise!    Ebay, Craigslist, etc. etc. etc.    If you need to get rid of them expect to let them go for rock bottom pricing.

Mosler     $0-$500
Meilink    $0-100

Sorry wish the news was better,  

Antique Safes

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland Safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

Safecrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2013 Listed in AllExperts top 50 Experts. All Experts Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service area is Northern California - Fresno to Oregon, including western Nevada